Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2017

Flat Rock,

What I have done in the past is put them in an old VHS plastic container. I put it in a VHS box from the post office and put that in a mailing envelope. You need to make sure it can hold six flies. You can use Crackleback's to help you determine the size or look at the pictures from 2016. Can anyone else share their thoughts?

Tom

Flat Rock,

What I have done in the past is put them in an old VHS plastic container. I put it in a VHS box from the post office and put that in a mailing envelope. You need to make sure it can hold six flies. You can use Crackleback's to help you determine the size or look at the pictures from 2016. Can anyone else share their thoughts?

Tom

Just curious, my first three iterations are averaging about 12.5 inches, Because I Used maximum natural size on Yak Hair, though it could be tapered back. Been attempting to post some pictures, unsuccessfully, so will try later with another device....

Flat Rock,

Last year we ran two options. Single hook and articulated. The articulateds ran in the 11-14 inch range. People came up with various ways to protect the flies. Several put them in Plano boxes. That made both directions of the trip easy.

Tom

Flat Rock,

Last year we ran two options. Single hook and articulated. The articulateds ran in the 11-14 inch range. People came up with various ways to protect the flies. Several put them in Plano boxes. That made both directions of the trip easy.

Tom

Ok, I am down with Plano's, just do not want to jam up the plans of others... Thank you

Does everybody have at least a 10wt? Thinking about whipping up a few more of these..

so my 5wt wont work? Lol

Yep got a 10

Got a Sage 12 With Copper Abel reel but threw the Yak hair streamer handily with a 9 Foot Cabela's, 8 Weight, WF8Floater; Flies like a dart, swims like a Large Yellow Perch in the cookable size range. TigerMuskie food in local waters.

We had an outstanding Musky Fly Swap last year. I was very impressed with the problem-solving ability and the technical/artistic skills of participants in the swap. Even though these are large flies, tiers need to balance weight of the hook and amount of materials with castability. Flies need to push water and/or have a very seductive action on them.

We will continue to target the biggest of these fish, those that are 40+ inches and 20+ pounds. All flies must be tied on hooks 4/0 or larger and are due no later than March 10, 2017. They need to be toe tagged and return postage must be included.

Swap - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 6.5 inches long (participants will tie 6 flies)

SM - Musky Fly Guy white/chartreuse streamer - 5/0 - 1. Eastern Fly - 2. Josephcsylvia - 3.Flat Rock native - Sonic Flashtail - 4. Crackleback - 5. WVUontheFly -6. Andrew.da.cook - unnamed -5/0

Swap is full

Sign up by posting an "I'm in". Please specify the name of the fly and the size of the hook. I will verify with a confirming email or post. Remember to send them in a container that will hold flies of that size. If all flies are submitted early, I will sort and get them back right away. This will help us with our personal tying and planning for next year. If you have any questions, please send me an email. Last years swap was outstanding and ran very smoothly. I am looking forward seeing your efforts.

Tom

IMG_1846.JPG

Send address PM when convenient, these tropical Firetiger beasts are ready for the NoPonyExpress...

Tank test and 8 WFF, within tolerable limits, but definitely a chuck & duck, mcfluck, over the Snow banks on a 9 foot, 4 pound flouro leader"....