Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2017

Swappers,

Our first grandchild is due the last week in March. I set the swap date for the 10th so I could be available to support son, daughter-in-law, wife, and others. I waited until the 17th and mailed the flies. According to USPS, several of you already have the flies. Well, today the last set arrived. My purpose in starting this swap several years ago was to broaden the discussion about muskie flies. I attended the MN Fly Fishing Expo over the weekend and saw a number of brilliant muskie fly tyers. Their work, like yours, is forward thinking and technically outstanding! In my professional life, I tried to be transparent and not throw anyone under the bus, plus also do the right thing. So, here is what I am going to do. Many of you were very generous and sent me an extra fly. I will send him my set tomorrow. I have flies up the whazoo (and you know how painful that is), so I am fine. The five, who did not get this one, will have their fly saved and I will send it to you on the next swap we are in. They will be pristine when you get them. I will not post pictures until after the birth, when things settle down. Have a great fishing season and it has been a pleasure working with you.

Tom

Hey Tom.

I don't think any of us are concerned about being short a fly. Honestly, I don't remember what I sent you as an extra fly but will definitely make it up to you on the next swap.

Grampa Tom..... It's got a good ring to it....

Cheers!

Swappers,

Our first grandchild is due the last week in March. I set the swap date for the 10th so I could be available to support son, daughter-in-law, wife, and others. I waited until the 17th and mailed the flies. According to USPS, several of you already have the flies. Well, today the last set arrived. My purpose in starting this swap several years ago was to broaden the discussion about muskie flies. I attended the MN Fly Fishing Expo over the weekend and saw a number of brilliant muskie fly tyers. Their work, like yours, is forward thinking and technically outstanding! In my professional life, I tried to be transparent and not throw anyone under the bus, plus also do the right thing. So, here is what I am going to do. Many of you were very generous and sent me an extra fly. I will send him my set tomorrow. I have flies up the whazoo (and you know how painful that is), so I am fine. The five, who did not get this one, will have their fly saved and I will send it to you on the next swap we are in. They will be pristine when you get them. I will not post pictures until after the birth, when things settle down. Have a great fishing season and it has been a pleasure working with you.

Tom

Ask that swapper to PM me their address. I would like to send them something for the swap please.

Kevin

Good on ya Tom.

May the Karma bless you on your next Musky trip.

Cheers, Ron...

Got mine. Should get some water time with them in a few weeks. I'm actually building a new rod right now. Killed my old one in the fall. Figure-8ed right into an oar and it snapped next cast.

I actually threw some of them from last year's swap at trout on the White and might again depending on flows.

Yes, got mine as well.

Only, lets see, 70 more days before I can give them a true test...

Thanks guys for tying up some great flies!

They are all totally beautiful.

Decisions, I can start yesterday, my TMuskie Lake is almost totally ice free. Unfortunately, it will probably be 70 days before it warms up enough to bring them out of lethargy. Water temps in 30'sF. Air temps high 40's. #wishful.thinking.but.knowing.I.got.the.ammo!

They are all totally beautiful.

Decisions, I can start yesterday, my TMuskie Lake is almost totally ice free. Unfortunately, it will probably be 70 days before it warms up enough to bring them out of lethargy. Water temps in 30'sF. Air temps high 40's. #wishful.thinking.but.knowing.I.got.the.ammo!

That's not fair FRN. Needless to say though, when you go out, I truly hope you get to connect with a big ol fat and ugly girl.

OK I ordered a 10wt rod for pike and musky. It's a moderate/fast action rod. I need line ideas. Can you help me out?

Kevin

By all means, do not go by my suggestions. I have yet to seriously try out my outfit.

I went with a 9wt fly rod and upped my double tapper to a 10wt. You will chuckle at my tippet. It is 5ft of 150lb seaguar floro. No one, I mean no one can convince me on going anything less for a tippet.

I tried the chuck and duck method and can easily manage the fly I tied for the swap. Now I will try the others I got from the swap.

Kevin

I will try and explain the process I went through and the decision I made. Got a nine weight nearly 30 years ago and went through a number of lines. All fine, but they took too much work for the results I was getting. About 20 years ago, I got a wonderful 10 weight and still had some of the same disappointments. About 10 years ago I took some casting lessons from an exceptional instructor and talked with a friend from a local fly shop. He suggested the Rio Outbound Short. I mainly fish big streamers and am pushing 70. It took about two casts to get used to it and I can pick up line and shoot it. No more extended false casts and I can fish it all day. If I need a false cast, I take it, but I have extended my distance. I do not rep for them, just really like it. Now I think more about targeting each cast and the retrieve. It has become a more enjoyable experience. With your love of streamers, I can envision a similar experience for you.

Tom

While I don't fish flies that big I will second MFG's opinion on Rio outbound short, great line easy to cast all day and theirs big flies with ease. I like SA Titan taper as well.

Kevin,

Last night I was typing on my phone and obviously my thumbs do not have any brains.

Congratulations on getting a 10 weight! Hope you will have many wonderful days on the water with it.

Things I forgot:

1. The Outbound short comes in various sink rates. Pick the one that best suits your circumstances. Even the the ones with the fastest sink rates can be worked near the surface.

2. On my 12 weight, I have an SA Titan taper. Like Vincente says, it works well. That is the rod I use when i have to get really deep

+1 for what they are saying. Get a line that reduces minimum amount of false casting. It is especially important because the fly will(and I repeat WILL) be stripped all the way to the boat, so only a short amount of fly line should remain past the rod tip when preparing for the next cast. Rio outbound short is a great line for this. The rio pike/musky line in intermediate is a great all around line, but I would also look at the SA triple density sonar lines. I have started using them for musky to smallmouth and trout lines. Never have been disappointed.