Fly Tying
flytire

January Flies from the Vise

Kimo, you have some competition, now!

Everyone ... Great flies this month !!!

Bo ... I'll show you that thread tonight. It's not thin "tying" thread ... it's a little larger diameter.

attachicon.gifIMG_1240.JPG

[/size]

Boise Bug - Daniel Briley

Hook Tiemco 200R Size 6-8 depending on the size of the bugs in the river.

Thread: Brown or black 6/0

Tail: Goose Biot (brown or black)

Underbody: Weighted heavily with 0.030" wire, topped with 0.015" wire

Abdomen: Brown or black latex nymph skin

Legs: Heavy Upholstery thread, knotted

Thorax: Blend of orange, golden or brown antron dubbing to match local bug colors

Wing Cases: Thin Skin - (brown or black)

Eyes: Black bead chain

Antennae: Coats & Clark thread

Varnish: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Brown sparkle or black

This is the best stonefly nymph pattern I have ever found. I have modified this fly over the years to make it more durable, and more effective. I have had enormous success in any western stream that has a healthy population of stoneflies in it, from the Madison to Box Canyon of Henry's Fork, to the Boise River where I first tied this pattern and which hears its name.

The picture here shows a brown version I tied, next to a live bug from the Boise River last October. Some of the live bugs are more brown in color, some are more black in color. I am 6'7" with very large hands, so the size of the fly and the bug are larger than they may appear.

I have found that the knotted thread legs are much more durable than the rubber legs, pheasant tail or the goose biot leg versions I have tried before. They are also much easier to tie in and work with on the vise.

This is a heavily weighted fly, so I can fish it without any additional weight on most sections of the river.

FRn said: "...

Welcome to FTF, following up with most amazing 1st post ever... Carry On... post fish photos when you have such..."

Thanks for the response. I have enjoyed all the variety of fly patterns on here for a long time, and finally tried posting something. More to come.

Last year I caught this gem of a rainbow on the Boise Bug pattern, it was a strong fish, it snapped my 10' Sage 5wt rod in half. I was able to pull it in hand over fist to get this pic, and to release it to catch another day.

post-45353-0-59524600-1485264619_thumb.jpg

Nice trout, King. In my opinion, and experience, snapping a rod is rarely, if ever, the fault of the rod.

User error or prior damage is usually the culprit.

BCT ... Kimo posted your fly ... and until I read his description, I thought it was one of his.

You've got the pattern down. Very nicely done!

Mike ... looks like you're getting a good start to replenishing your inventory.

Tonight was another of the classes at the BPS in Ashland. Tonight, Chuck led the group in tying a clouser. Then he let those of us who wanted to, to tie a few more.

Sorry to hear Mike. Nothing worse than a thief.

You are getting a nice collection tied back up however.

Now what is a Florida crappie and bluegill fisherman gonna do with some Clousers? LOL

Nice ties Mike.

Tied this up for the first time today. Took it out on the river and it works.

I caught 5 rainbows on the first one I tied.

big%20stone.jpg