Fly Tying

Other than Bass Pro or Cabelas, what other online stores would you guys recommend for buying materials. I just started and the local Cabelas here doesn't have squat, and we don't have any fly shops.

Welcome to FTF.. Personally, I have been mostly satisfied when ordering from Feather-Craft, JStockard, Fly Tyer's Dungeon, and TheFlyShop.... BassPro.. and Cabela's too, on occasion.... depending on how specific your material quest will be, you should find a myriad of reputable outlets Carry On

Welcome to FTF.. Personally, I have been mostly satisfied when ordering from Feather-Craft, JStockard, Fly Tyer's Dungeon, and TheFlyShop.... BassPro.. and Cabela's too, on occasion.... depending on how specific your material quest will be, you should find a myriad of reputable outlets Carry On

Thank you. I got the tools for Christmas and I am ready to get started. This place looks like it will be a massive source of knowledge.

Yep the Dungeon has great prices and products. I also like oleflorida fly shop due to free shipping as well as Miami fly shop...

Why don't you give us an insight on what patterns and fish you will be chasing an maybe we can help more?

Welcome to FTF!

heres my list of shops i support as there is no "mother of all fly shops" that carries every tying product

shop%20list_zps7jo0rkba.jpg

bass pro or cabelas = fly shop? not in my neck of the woods

fly tyers dungeon is quite limited in tying supplies

The list above covers many of the really good stores, at least the ones I'm familiar with. I would add Bob Marriotts to that list. I'm a saltwater tier and their stock is excellent but they also have a lot of freshwater stuff too. Plus their service is excellent, as is that of many of the above shops I have used. Browse their catalogues and shop with confidence

My go-to is J Stockard (jsflyfishing.com) or Flyshack (flyshack.com) Many others too but 90% of what I buy is from them.

There is a guy on ebay who I've ordered from multiple times. Always has packages in my mailbox within a few days of ordering. Although he is limited in feathers and natural stuff, he does carry quite a bit of synthetic materials, hooks, beads, instructional videos etc. Give him a look and let me know what you think. Here's the website.

www.tailingloopflyshop.com

Like I said give him a look, his prices are decent.

Yep the Dungeon has great prices and products. I also like oleflorida fly shop due to free shipping as well as Miami fly shop...

Why don't you give us an insight on what patterns and fish you will be chasing an maybe we can help more?

Welcome to FTF!

I will be tying mostly bass and trout flies. As for patterns, it will be just the most basic for trout and bass. I live next to a great smallmouth river in the Ozarks and a ton of small lakes.

Fly tyers dungeon should serve you well for bass patterns, get some of the synthetic hair products from him, and if you want to learn dubbing get some of that as well, I recently took the time to figure out how to do a proper dubbing loop and will be doing that instead of using chenille whenever possible. It's also a good place to get eyes. I'm just guessing but you will probably get bored with tying only the most basic patterns you need to catch trout and bass woolly works get pretty boring after the first half dozen.