Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFisher09

Buggerish Flies

I was tying with some marabou and I decided to put it inot a dubbing loop. This worked well. The result was a marabou chenille strip that is slightly larger than crystal chenille. I used this as the chenille and the palmered hackle on the bugger. I then used a bit of crystal chenille in the front near the cone head. This brightens up the fly.

I wonder how the marabou will hold up in currents, drops etc.... I tied a bugger the other night, I was trying to come up with a pink(shrimp) colored bugger and decided to just use pink yarn counter wrapped with gold oval tinsel and hackled with white hen saddle with pink chenille as the tail. It looks awesome, I don't know if its going to work, but thought it would be good for some of the dumb hatchery fish in the spring....

To thicken the body a little I wrapped .015 lead wire the full length of the shank. Also figured I could use the weight.

Nope, it's Angel Hair (or Lite Brite) in a dubbing loop. Spin it, then wrap it to the front. You DON'T tie off with the bobbin. You tie off with the dubbing loop, itself.

The idea is that it's way softer than ice chenille, cactus chenille, Estaz, etc. More motion to it such as you would expect between marabou and bucktail. There is also the benefit of a much wider array of colors to choose from.

Beadheads... I don't even want to know where you got that picture. I about fell out of my chair when I first saw it. bugeyes.gif

Mike