Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bhowell

First Attempt

Looks like your hackle got twisted, and not in the palmering respect. It looks like the stem was twisted. Not a huge deal, but just something to work on.

Those flies will catch fish.

Everything that I have seen, read, and watched, has said to keep the "dull" side of the hackle facing you when tying and towards the eye when you palmer it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but it always seems to twist on me.

The first picture it looks like you were trapping fibers with your wraps, almost like you were overlapping the wraps, it's not as full as the second fly appears to be. Any way, wrapping hackle just takes practice and understanding.

My first fly was an Adams, that was a poor choice on my behalf, what a disaster that was. I still have it somewhere. You're off to a better start. Your flies are very fishable, and any new pattern takes time to learn.

As mentioned, starting on a larger hook might be easier to learn. Look up the "wooly worm", it's essentially a huge gnat pattern with a yarn tail. Same fly your tying now, bigger hook + practice + fishable fly = score!

There's nothing wrong with the fly in the vise ...

attachicon.gifpost-60386-0-03349600-1483922617.jpeg

attachicon.gifpost-60386-0-17935100-1483922671.jpeg

That's a great example of perspective. I was craning my head as far as it would go since the iPad screen turns the picture if you try to orient the picture. No matter how far I turned my head it just looked wrong. It looks right with the pictures corrected though.

Thanks for all the advice. I can tell this is going to be fun and can't wait to learn more flies and actually fish them.

bhowell,

No matter what, use this fly. It will catch fish. You must promise something though. The first fish you catch on that fly, take the fly off immediately and put it in a safe place for keeping. 20 or 30 years from now you will still be able to look at that fly and say "Wow, this is what got me hooked". You won't regret it.

Cheers, Ron...

Looks like your hackle got twisted, and not in the palmering respect. It looks like the stem was twisted. Not a huge deal, but just something to work on.

Those flies will catch fish.

Everything that I have seen, read, and watched, has said to keep the "dull" side of the hackle facing you when tying and towards the eye when you palmer it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but it always seems to twist on me.

Being new to tying also, I had the same frustration with hackle "twisting" while taking wraps and not orienting perpendicular to the hook shank. Orvis has awesome instructional videos. In most of them, they mention stripping a few fibers from the far side of the stem before taking wraps with it. That will help the fibers orient correctly and I've found that to be huge help.