Fly Tying
Decisions

Looking for a 9wt reel that won't break the bank.

Thanks for all the insight guys. Lots to choose from right there.

I will let you know what I went with.

Cheers, Ron...

If you needed to save money, and since you have a White River rod, which is a Bass Pro brand, take a look at Bass Pro's White River Hobbs Creek reel for $49. it's a 7/8 reel. BPS should have a good warranty. Not sure how important a drag is for northern pike. If it is, check out the Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor for $98. It's a lighter reel made for 7-9 wt lines. Personally, i'd choose the Orvis or Redington Behemoth. Or find a good deal on a Lamson Guru 3.0 or 3.5 (used).

http://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-large-arbor-fly-reels/4y55

looking forward to hearing what you ended up buying. I know the choices can be dizzying at times.

eric

fresno, ca.

Echo Ion. $99. I have a Base in an 8 that I really like.

You could probably get by with a Base in a 6/8 if you could sacrifice some backing. They're only $35.

Matt

Well being from Canada, prices are astronomically higher on reels. not only with the exchange but also the initial price. I shopped for several reels that were mentioned and with the exchange and shipping and get this, no warranty if sent cross border.

I mulled over a few on Amazon.ca and ordered a Goture 9/11 wt. I opened the package, looked at the reel and said to myself, "There is no way this reel is going to hold a 9wt fly line and backing". Sure enough, it was barely large enough to hold the fly line and that was by taking the time to spool it evenly.

Back it goes...

I guess the term "you get what you pay for" stepped up and I have now ordered the Redington Behemoth 9/10 Large Arbor Fly Reel in Gunmetal grey.

In Canadian dollars, it totaled 201.00 shipping included from flymart.ca

Ya, so, I'm $100.00 over my budget, oh well. So long as my wife doesn't sell my stuff for for what I told her it's worth.....

Cheers, Ron

Lamson Liquid, inexpensive workhorse top quality drag 3.5 or 4.0 is just north of 100. waterproof, salt water rated, maintenance free bearings. I use the 4.0 for salmon and stripers plenty of backing for 9wt. the 3 pack is the best bargain but higher than you want to spend at 200, reel and 2 extra spools with a case.

Watch Cabelas for Lamson discontinued reels. I picked up two Konic's a few years back in Saskatoon for $100.00.

They are great for a 8-9 wt and found some spools for $50.00 in Montana ( when the dollar was above par).

Awesome reels, have used them for pike, walleye and hope to get back to BC for Steelies and Salmon some day.

Nope, air temp was a balmy 19deg F. LOL

I was hoping to make a couple of casts to see how the reel, line and fly I tied worked. It was great for the first cast, but once the fly came out of the water, it became a great ice cube! It was like casting a 1lb perch!