Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ginormus1

Most used material

I'll put it this way -- if I was to limit myself to a single material (other than hooks and thread), it would be zonker strips ("bunny strips", "rabbit strips", whatever people call them).

If I was allowed only 5 materials (again, other than hooks and thread), I'd go with the aforementioned zonker strips, plus marabou, chenille, saddle hackle and rubber legs.

I'd be willing to bet my lunch money that there aren't too many places on Earth where you couldn't get something to bite using just what you can make with those materials.

it seems like most of these material suggestions are for subsurface flies. fantastic. most successful method. if you're fishing in the mountains for trout, you could throw in a $4 clump of elk hair too. that and thread will make you elk hair caddis flies, my most successful dry fly in the california sierra

eric

fresno, ca.

My favorite material is peacock herl. If I had to choose only one material to make a fly for catching fish, it would also be peacock herl.

I like flytire's list, started tying about a year ago and have 97.32% of the list acquired a bit at a time. I also have goose biots and rabbit strips.

For trout flies, it's probably partridge (legs, tails, wings and collars on wooly buggers), pheasant tail and peacock herl.

Same here, except I don't tie woolly buggers (at least not for trout.)

I guess it would have to be grizzly hackle - both rooster and hen. Seems like I can use one or the other

in almost every fly I like to tie and fish. I was able to stock up on all of my tying staples back in the 90's

(when prices were much more reasonable). I'd like to see prices for juvenile grizzly hen capes back in

the $5 to $8 range - how did they become $25 to $30?

I guess it would have to be grizzly hackle - both rooster and hen. Seems like I can use one or the other

in almost every fly I like to tie and fish. I was able to stock up on all of my tying staples back in the 90's

(when prices were much more reasonable). I'd like to see prices for juvenile grizzly hen capes back in

the $5 to $8 range - how did they become $25 to $30?

When I was growing up a bottle of soda was $.10 out of a machine or $.08 out of the water bath cooler at Dah Dah's Corner Market and you got $.03 back when you returned the bottle. A Ring Ding $.25. I made about $35 a week in actual wage on my 108 customer paper route and at 14 went to work part time at minimum wage which was $1 an hour and they took taxes out of it, I was better off with my paper route, with tips included I was way ahead of the job and out free in the world instead of stuck in a stock room. Live and learn. But ya, it's inflation. Today minimum wage is $11 in this state and that bottle of soda in a plastic bottle is $1.08. Hah a brand new 1963 Chevy 4x4 pickup was listed at $2676 and we wondered how anyone could afford one, most folks had 2 wheel drive if they had a truck at all.

For my first 3 years of fly fishing I fished for trout and pan fish and tied only 4 patterns. Hare's ear nymph, pheasant-tail nymph (Troth style with the peacock thorax), elk hair caddis and a standard hackle Adams dry. Start with the materials needed for those and you are off to a great start.