Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

tutorials

A few days ago...or maybe a week or so, a member was talking about online tying lessons using MSN. I 've been playing with the vidoe feature on my sisters dig. camera.

The vidoes aren't good enough (yet) to teach or show other people. But, I was thinking about just picture tutorials. It wouldn't be over MSN or any other type of messenger. Just maybe in here using the same thread. I could be able to post tutorials every month. Maybe even up to 5 a month. If anyone would be intereseted in this...just say a pattern and I'll do my best.

Just a thought ,

Jarrod

I 've been playing with this software and messing around with pics of flies. I think it could do the job.....Now.....................the big ? is what to tye.

Hi Jarrod, I would love to see some dry fly tutorials, basically because I mostly tye nymphs and don't have much experience tying dry's. Whatever you tye I'm sure your tutorials will be appreciated. Thanks for offering your time and sharing your knowledge.

Graham

user posted image

This is the thread base for this fly. Notice where it stops...right at the barb. This is where the tail will be tied in. Sorry about some of the pics...gotta learn how to tye with one hand biggrin.gif.

user posted image\

Here you see a merganser feather. This is the feather I chose but you can use whatever you like. (Exp. Woodduck Mallard etc.) Mix up the colors and figure out what gets best results.

user posted image

Get a rough measurement of how long the tail should be. On this one...Its a little shorter than the shank.

user posted image

Tye in the tail and wrap back to the barb.

Hi Jarrod, Thats a nice start, do you have a Macro setting on the camera? It took me a while to get used to taking close up shots of fly's and I still struggle with it.

Graham

It does appear that your camera is focusing on that object to the left of the pic, that looks crystal clear while the rest is blurry dunno.gif

user posted image

Here I am just simply twisting the dubbing (homemade) and tapering it by picking out some. Theres no need to grab that much but I NEED to get rid of this stuff, ( even if it goes to the vacuum). Just get it fairly tight and start wrapping it. Add more if you need more taper to it as you go.

user posted image

Heres the body. Leave about 1/3 of the shank to tye in hackle etc.

user posted image

Tye in some hackle after stripping the quills of where it will be tied in. Then tye in some more merganser as a wing. On this pattern the wing is about the same as the tail..a little shorter though. Tye the wing in where the tips are facing forwards (towards the eye)

user posted image

Try to make it as smooth as possible so the hackle wont go crazy on ya.

user posted image

carefully try to push the wing back a little so you can wrap in front of it and make it stick up straight.

user posted image

put a few wraps in front of the wing. Shape it up a little bit by picking things that dont belong out of it. Maybe pieces of dubbing or something.

user posted image

wrap your hackle about 4 turns. Keep it fairly tight.

user posted image

Push the wing forwards a little and wrap once in front of the wing. Put one tight wrap to secure it.

user posted image

Push the fibers out of the way and wrap a few more times.

user posted image

trim the stem and make a smooth head. Your done after whip finishing and applying cement. Easy as that. This is a really simple pattern to tye. Once you get everything down you can whoop these babies out by the 1000's. biggrin.gif very effective! again sorry about the pics. This was just sort of a quick experiment. The next one will all be like those last good pics.

JARROD headbang.gif

The bluriness is just my fault. I porbaly knowck the camer or something while I was taking the pic. Plus I could use more light. Its a start....The next ones will be better. Too bad all these pics arent like the last few

FANTASTIC Jarrod, I had the same problem with my camera until I found that when taking close up pics the little eye-piece-view-finder does not look through the lens so it does not focus properly close up. When taking Macro shots I have to look at the LCD screen on the digital camera because that looks through the lens and will allow for a close up focus. I'm not sure what I would do if my digital camera didn't have the LCD? It took me about 4-5 years to finally figure this out. This year my close up insect pics will turn out well, finally.

Thanks for the tutorial, great work.

Graham

yeah..its like a silver grade or something. When I first picked up her camera I just looked through the lcd instintively ... when I think about it though, it would be easy to completly miss the whole fly becuase the viewer thing itnt in line with the lense. Next one will be coming soon. Someone just say the pattern.

JARROD biggrin.gif