Fly Tying
shoebop

How to go about tying flies

Never mind. I was just trying to save some folks from some of the pitfalls I have encountered and maybe save them some money in the process.I realize that many of us, myself included, went about it ass backwards many times and because I did, I wasted a lot of time and money

I know I didn't finish my thoughts as I realized this was a topic that couldn't be finished in this setting. Just forget I said anything. I will shut-up and listen.

Sometimes I get thoughts that are hard to write out and I should stop trying to do that.

Carry on...

I think you're being way unnecessarily hard on yourself. You can have something to say and speak it ! I'd like to think we aren't enemies here. It wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone clammed up when one or two people didn't agree with what one person said. And you don't know that what you said won't help someone out who doesn't yet want to voice his or her concern about getting into this stuff of things flies . You really don't know that. And you don't know that one of the replies made in this thread might be what does it, that might not have happened if you never said what you said..

Shoe ... I sure hope you didn't take MY post negatively.

I know I didn't put any smiley face emoji's on there, but it WAS intended humorously ... as most of my misunderstood posts are.

That said, there are as many ways to start tying as there are ways to start fishing. I am often flummoxed by beginners who ask if they should buy some $400.00 vise, or a $600.00 rod or reel.

NO!

But if you have a cape, or some fur ... and are looking for patterns you can tie with it ... I don't see a problem with that.

BTW I was not saying that we shouldn't experiment. or learn technique thereby. Quite the opposite.

It is quite clear I failed miserably in communicating my thoughts and will think long and hard the next time I think I have a thought to share. Sometimes, I should just keep it to myself.

Just scratch your heads and say WTF did he just say! :blink:

Shoebops, it winter time. It's the perfect time for random thoughts, differing opinions and discussion. I hope my post did not lead to your self imposed exile. My apologies if it was. I'm like mike sort of I think. I cant bring myself to use imojis and I will never ever ever put a winky smiley face in any post. I think I may be genderphobic or something. Think of it this way, your post invoked thought and generated healthy and respectful dialog from a bunch of people cooped up until spring.

Same here Shoebops. Im not being negative either, I dont sit down and tye 10 of the same fly. I sit at my bench and say what do I want to tye. And hope I have what I need. If not Im sure I have something that will work. Like Mike, I go to the dollar and craft stores to just see what I could use, not what I need. I bought some foam lettered dice at a garage sell... perfect for poppers...The lady said that its a fun game to play. I told her i am just going to cut them up and use them for fishing. Her look was priceless. Im just saying, Some just dont know what they will be tying.

It's all good everybody! smile.png (He says with emoji and everything). I will not try to explain my original post nor do you have to defend your responses. I did not communicate my thoughts well and chaos ensued...that's all. I am fine and I hope you are too. I will say that none of you who attempted to interpret what I was trying to say came close to explaining my intent. This wasn't your fault. My rambling, (and yet insufficient) post was that bad at communicating my thoughts. blink.png

In the future, I will attempt to be more circumspect.

As a new guy to the forum and tying, I can tell you the approach that is working for me is finding a fly that I want to fish, getting a recipe that produces that fly and getting the materials to tie it. After 30 or 50 and maybe even after fishing it, I let myself start to think about experimenting with materials and such for that fly.

In other words and maybe its just me, but if I don't set my goal and stick to the plan, there are just too many options...so instead of rabbit dubbing I could have use belly hair from my neighbors cat...I am too new to the hobby to open that door. I tell myself as I sit down to tie, "Keep it simple, work on building skill and technique, and stick to the recipe" When I do this, I can see my skill building and I can guage my progress....if I just start off being creative, I can't tell when the train left the tracks and left me with thread and fuzz and feather bits on a hook.

I thank each of you here, I don't post often, but according to my wife I spend an awful lot of time on this site :)

but according to my wife I spend an awful lot of time on this site smile.png

Oh that's woman's code for " I want to go out to dinner and for you to tell me how pretty my finger nails came out".

I will remember that for when I get home tonight...Dinner and "you look pretty" thanks...I wonder if that will get me off the hook for skipping the family get together to go fishing last Sunday? :)

I will remember that for when I get home tonight...Dinner and "you look pretty" thanks...I wonder if that will get me off the hook for skipping the family get together to go fishing last Sunday? smile.png

Oooh, that's a far more serious offense. Good luck with that though.

I've gone about this whole thing the wrong way. I've bought way more materials than I know what to do with. I have too many fly patterns I want to learn but too little time to just sit and tie. I have an entire (sorta smallish) five drawer unit filled with dubbing, feathers, fur, and god know what else and I get stuck on what to tie for upcoming days on the water. Would have been much easier had I picked a couple patterns, learned them, and then added a few more along the way. That's why I like the fly swaps here so much. They "force" me to tie one pattern multiple times and really learn it. It's helped with technique and let me get a hold of some flies from better tiers to learn from.

So, I totally get what the OP is saying, even if there really is no right way to start. Start small and grow.

I've gone about this whole thing the wrong way. I've bought way more materials than I know what to do with. I have too many fly patterns I want to learn but too little time to just sit and tie. I have an entire (sorta smallish) five drawer unit filled with dubbing, feathers, fur, and god know what else and I get stuck on what to tie for upcoming days on the water. Would have been much easier had I picked a couple patterns, learned them, and then added a few more along the way. That's why I like the fly swaps here so much. They "force" me to tie one pattern multiple times and really learn it. It's helped with technique and let me get a hold of some flies from better tiers to learn from.

So, I totally get what the OP is saying, even if there really is no right way to start. Start small and grow.

I could have written your post word for word. I just wish I could have communicated my thoughts better and helped others save a lot of money but hey! We had fun right?

I've gone about this whole thing the wrong way. I've bought way more materials than I know what to do with.

Yes, but do you have furry foam? You have to have furry foam... :)

Seriously though, I sometimes wish I had done the same, but, in truth, I have used most of the stuff accumulated over the years at one time or another. And it was great to be able to tie something on a whim without having to go to the flyshop or ordering online.

Yes, but do you have furry foam? You have to have furry foam... :)

Seriously though, I sometimes wish I had done the same, but, in truth, I have used most of the stuff accumulated over the years at one time or another. And it was great to be able to tie something on a whim without having to go to the flyshop or ordering online.

No furry foam yet but I'm sure it'll find its way into the desk soon.

I kinda think like you. I may not know what to do with a material right now but it's there when I need it. Right or wrong, like shoebop said, it's fun.

I'm still a beginner but I buy kits that contains the perfect materials for the flies that you want to tie.

The last one I bought is this Trout 2018 promotion kit.

Contains finished flies , tying kits and lots of materials. In the end I will have materials to tie 100 flies if not more.

http://thepoppercompany.com/page/promotions