Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Has anybody used Kabari flys with regular fly rods?

Having nothing to do except tie flies today, I found some literature on tenkara rods... and so I was wondering are there flies that are specifically tied for the tenkara rods, or can I use some of the sakasa kebari flys for my "normal" fly rod? Mind you that I'm just exploring new ideas, and I like the forward soft hackle, wondering how it would do with my Scott rod.

SD

Try it, whats the worst that can happen? We have a gentleman in our club that uses a Trout Magnet grub with a bead head jig hook on a fly rod under an indicator. The man just slays em.

Most of the tenkara flies I've seen, are tied with the hackle etc. facing "forward" ... towards the hook eye.

In long back/forward casts, I believe they will spin in the air, twisting your tippet more that traditionally tied flies.

I, also, don't see the benefits. None of the tenkara flies I've seen are "better" than traditional patterns, just facing wrong. When dangling those flies off the end of a cane pole tenkara rod, maybe that works better.

Ahhh... that's what I was looking for... I won't bother with it, although the forward facing hackle intrigued me...

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the input. SD

The tenkara flies were developed to be floated on the surface with either no or limited line on the water. The body of the fly would dangle below the surface film and the hackle would pulse on the surface representing a mayfly trying to launch and lift his body clear of the water. I think our Klinkhammer flies are as close to this concept as you can get with standard flies. Go ahead and tie some and add them to the box...you might just find a situation where you fish little more than the leader and they'd be ideal for that in a hatch, though tenkara fishermen don't wait for a hatch.

I can't see why the would twist any more than a lot of other flies when cast.

The similarity to a Klinkhammer is good, I would imagine in clear water with spooky fish taking emergers suspended in the surface film they could be very effective - another option in the fly box.

I can't see why the would twist any more than a lot of other flies when cast.

Based on hackle position ...

Yes, many of the flies tied from regular patterns will cause the same thing, but usually because of imbalance materials, not pattern design.

Tenkara flies are designed with hackle tips facing forward ... so, are designed to helicopter through the air. Using a tenkara, one doesn't make long line casts, so there's less worry about twisted leaders.

When evaluating answers, you might consider whether the person giving the answer has actually used them or is just giving his ideas of what he thinks they will do.

FIN-ITE 34 is correct. You can use them. They do work. They do not twist your tippet any more than a conventional fly. I have fished with them for years now.

Also, they are not designed to be fished on the surface. They are wet flies and are designed to be fished under the surface (although with a long rod and short line you can keep them at the surface if you wish). Perhaps most important to realize, there are many traditional tenkara flies and most of the traditional Japanese tenkara flies do not have forward facing hackles.

I have used them with a regular fly rod. They cast fine.

They are no better or worse than a normal soft hackle, so use them anywhere you might use a soft hackle.

Similarly tied reversed spiders are used for Sea-run Cutthroat with regular fly rods. I haven't noticed a twisting problem.

Anyone have any insight as to why the hackle is tied in reverse of what we in the western world might consider normal ?