Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mvalbano

Bobbin Invasion

Hi Everyone,

I am going to start putting videos out on a consistent basis and I thought I would share with you all my first one on bobbins. Their seemed to be a bobbin explosion starting last year and since I collect vises and bobbins I thought I would go over some of the popular brands and a little description on each. I promise the videos will get better and more professional over time. If you like the video hit the "like" button and "subscribe" button and this way my videos will be in your YouTube feed. Thanks so much!

Mike

Designed 2 Deceive

https://youtu.be/dnVVXXaZOPY

Bobbin is the spool that holds thread, etc,,,,,, a Bobbin Holder is the subject of your video.

Appreciate the effort.

Regards,

FK

I did watch your video. Good info if you're in the market for a high end bobbin. Some of yours are more than my rotary vice cost me. I use all standard bobbins, ceramic, flared and S&M. I might have about 10 and they cost about $25 if I added them all up. And all are used. I cant seeing spending even $20 on one. That's just me. Im not a pro at this and tie for the enjoyment. A $70-$100 bobbin can buy a lot of hooks. Maybe explain how and why one is better than the other. But for tension and control on the tread. The hand works best.

+1 what bass master said...

I started tying flies by holding the thread in my hands. The first bobbin I got was the old red plastic model - tension adjustment via a screwdriver.

The Matterelli style bobbin with a ceramic tube or ruby insert is all I need in a bobbin. I have gone the route of accumulating many inexpensive bobbins (keeping them loaded with my most used threads and wound materials) rather than investing in the automatic types. After tying for more than 50 years, I can put up with having to manually rewind slack thread back on the spool; I also think I have far better tension control by squeezing the tension wires against the spool knobs.

Hi Flyty1,

Yes, I agree, I have all those bobbins because I'm a collector but I tend to use the regular wire bobbins most and I like to control tension with my hand has well. For bigger flies, if you tie them I recommend checking out the new loon ergo bobbin it's really nice and affordable.

Mike