Fly Tying
vicrider

Beware the "YES" phone answer...

I'm just being a smart ass AGAIN flytire! Can't remember when i seen one last, mother inlaw used to have one! Even the few remaining phone booths disapiered 10-15 yrs ago over here! Just try & tell kids now that you used to have to put your finger in a hole where the number was & turn it!

I'm just being a smart ass AGAIN flytire! Can't remember when i seen one last, mother inlaw used to have one! Even the few remaining phone booths disapiered 10-15 yrs ago over here! Just try & tell kids now that you used to have to put your finger in a hole where the number was & turn it!

I bet it had that fifty foot long cord that was still stretched out because "that danged thing still ain't long enough".

Simplest answer: If I don't recognize the number on the caller ID, I don't answer the call. That's what voice mail is for. If it's important, they'll leave a message and if the message reveals that the caller is known to me or otherwise legit, I can call back.

As to vicrider's suggestion of hanging scammers by their balls, I can only add, "using rusty barbed wire." smile.png

I do the same! I Never answer a phone call unless I recognize the number.

After spending the last three days searching the web it seems the scam is the scam. I couldn't find one article on how this scam works or what is being scammed. While everybody is reporting the scam nobody has found a single person that has been scammed out of anything by saying yes. There is absolutely nothing that can be obtained by a recorded single word.

This is a Prince Albert in a can phone prank being perpetuated by news people who no longer try to validate anything and Social media sites.

That's why I go with "Snopes.com". You've wrote what is reported on that site for some time. This is not a "new" false scam.

But the warnings posted above still apply. As has been stated, hackers and thieves are always finding new ways to get what they don't deserve ... so always err on the side of caution.

Poopdeck, I was about to say about the same thing you just did. I'm a lot more relaxed about it now and even the local News said that no one in OK City has actually been tagged for anything. And I'm a big Snopes fan also but when it happens to you and then follows on the local News it's easy to get fired up. What I can't figure is why someone would go thru this trouble. It's not even a good joke on someone like suggested. I do know what my call was and I'm about 99% sure it was automated. "Is this the Szabo residence?" YES "A representative will call you shortly." click. Now if it's kids sitting around perpetrating a prank because they don't know how to write a virus I doubt they could have simulated a programmed voice like that.

Okay Steve, if we've all shared our info it wouldn't hurt to see this fade into the past.

Nick

Home phone is all I have myself. I got rid of my cell phone 15 yrs ago because I personally think they are a big reason for the way people are in society these days. Honestly you could not pay me to own a cell phone again. I have my home phone and if I'm not home then people can leave a message. Nothing is so important that they HAVE to reach me every second of every day. My Niece and younger people can't understand how I survive without a cell phone. Personally I can't understand how people can survive with out being tethered to it all day long lol

BTW I linked to Snopes in my first reply, not that anyone bothered to look I guess lol

Honestly, if I don't recognize the number (be it a call to my home phone OR my cell) - I'll let them leave a message. If its legitimate, they will leave a message with the pertinent info, and I will call them back.

Mike B

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.