Fly Tying

Dubbing loop using Angel Hair

The new guy that just joined who makes his own hooks has a dubbing block that he made on his web site. I'll end up making one(good thing i'm not a plumber) laugh.gif

Brent.

I would love to see some pictures of a dubbing block, as I am prety sure I could make one easy enough, and what you described sounds greek but a picture would help.

Wickedcarpenter,

You mentioned Chris Helm's shop. I'll bet he suggested the Angel Hair in the dubbing loop. I told him what I was doing with it a few years ago. I get my Black Light Angel Hair from him. Quite a few colors, actually. Is there something you fish for, in particular? Carry a few of the Pearl Gold, in 4,6, and 8. They catch virtually anything that swims. Here's my best fall smallie color....

post-2-1109380369.jpg

Hey Daryn, here a pic of my dubbing block. The thread is tied around the brass post, is submerged into the thin cut out line when you let the bobbing hang, and the dubbing lays flat on the wood. I loop the thread up over the top, wrap onto the brass post, then put a dubbing twister on the hanging loop and spin it and tilt up the block. I think there is a different way to use the block, probably utilizing the post on the side, might be quicker and easier? But this way works for me.

Graham

user posted image

That looks too easy to build and it also looks like it would work very well. I think the post on the side is used to wrap the thread on then arround the hook to form loop. That way you would not have to cut the thread or tie it on. Thanks Graham.

SMinnow, I did see a few of them flies laying on a table while I was there biggrin.gif

I looked one over and bought the material in electric pink,pearl blue and black light

They do look killer when wet devil.gif

Thanks for the good word Jarrod.

Brent.

Hey brent, Sorry I didn't see this untill now. Take a dowel rod of the correct diameter ( depends on what size fibers you want in your loop). I then take a small guage wire (that I use for ribbing pheasant tails) and hold it paralell to the dowel. Take your angel hair and wrap it around the dowel trapping the wire between the dowel and angel hair. The tighter the wraps of angel hair on the dowel the denser your dubbing will be. Next place the dowel on your petitjean table or a small book with a rubber band around it ( old school) Make sure your wire is against the slot in the table or the pages of the book, take a razor and slit the angel hair on the side opposite the wire, you must hold the wire taught or you'll make a mess. using the wire force the fibers into the slot on the petitjean tool or between the pages of the book ( if you are using the book do not push the fibers in too far). Last step is to grab the fibers with your clamp or a large old style paper clip and insert them into your dubbing loop. It sound far more complicated than it is, the petitjean tool is actually easier than the book. I'll look for ya at the Fly tying expo March 12-13

Take Care, Eric

It's been a long time since I used a tool for dubbing and the block was the first that came to mind. Been thinkin a bit more and rummaged through my tool drawer, which doesn’t get opened much because the regular tools stay on my desk. I used to use the block mostly for making dubbing brushes, wire was used not thread.

For help inserting certain dubbings, more specifically, for aligning a row of partridge feather fibers in a loop for scud legs, I used the tools below. Bull dog clips of various sizes, and sometimes for big saltwater fly’s, a stainless steel dubbing holder, I picked up years ago. Pics below.

Graham

user posted image

user posted image