Fly Tying
Streambum4trout

Years tying flies

My sister bought me a Noll kit from Al Cohen's Sports in Monticello, NY for my eighth birthday. I am almost sixty-three so fifty five years, continuous. My Grandfather was friends with some famous Catskill tyers. I used to hang out and soak everything in when I was in Livingston Manor or Roscoe. My Grandparents lived on the Willowemoc.

Funny JSzymczyk, you are so correct. George Herter was showing people how to tie jointed streamers in his 1950 and 60's writing. It wasn't original then either. They had jointed devil bugs. I think I remember you tying a nice devil bug for a swap once.

In the early 90s I inherited a vise and a nice collection of tying tools. I put the vise on the bookcase and the tools in a tackle box. Three years ago I opened the tackle box and started tying. On another fly fishing forum, someone living about an hr away with 40 yrs of experience offered help. That "made all the difference."

A span of over 40 years but like probably most on here I did not tie

all those with school,career and family. I would say I've tied 25 of

those years.

Off and on for ... a few decades. I honestly can't say how or when I started. My memory's always been less than perfect, and this is just one example. I remember trying it as a kid with an aluminum sheet metal vice that came in a kit ... but I don't remember how old I was at the time.

I also know that I don't tie flies. I wrap stuff around hooks and fish with it. Compared to some of the tiers on here, what I fish with can NOT be called "flies".

Don't sell yourself short Mike smile.png

Retro ... don't worry about me! My ego needs no massaging.

I consider myself a fly fisherman who ties to go fishing. Yes, Virginia, one CAN save money tying one's own flies.

Unlike Stabgnid ... I DO fly fish, and often.

Before this long stay in a hotel, I could count on my fingers (no toes needed) the number of flies I'd tied just for the sake of tying them. Now, I think I'll need to take my shoes off ... but as soon as I am home, I'll go back to tying what I fish with.

I started out as a closet tyer. Literally. One Christmas my brother was given a tying kit. It sat in his closet for a couple of years so I started out hiding in his closet tying from his kit. I was 13.

So I've been at it for over 40 years.

Michael

Hi Group,

Al has been a commercial tier for 60+ years and Gretchen a few years less (she doesn't want to give away her age <G>). Take care & ...

Mine is 65+ years, not continuously, time out for U.S. Navy and intense college degrees.

Started in grammar school, maintain enjoyment for learning and experimenting with patterns.

This site is always entertaining for exchange of information and new ideas.

Regards,

FK