Fly Tying
Streambum4trout

Years tying flies

I think about 23 years. I remember getting a kit for Christmas and my brother in law helping me to get started. I can't remember exactly which Christmas, but I do remember pretty much every thing that was in the tying kit. Funny how that works. :)

Over 35 years? I've forgotten more than most have learned

And yet, you've retained such humility !!!

wink.png laugh.png

Just short of 61 years. My dad made me up a kit of odds and ends and a home made vice for my 11th birthday. Had a 10 year stretch that I quit fishing but never quit tying flies as it has always been something that relaxes me and helps me unwind. Much better than a drink as I've never liked alcohol.

There is nothing more relaxing than tying flies while enjoying a beverage. The two go together......until sometimes the next day when you look at the flies you tied the night before. Sometimes they don't look quite as good as they did when you were working on them. Go figure.....

Joe

Started in 7th grade, I joined the "Fly Tying Club" at my middle school... I am 47 now. How long is that? eek.gif

Mike B

Dad bought me a modest fly tying kit for Christmas when I was 6. Took two sets of lessons form different people in the local fish and game and by the time I was 14 I was tying bucktail walleye jigs for a local tackle shop. At 2 cents a jig that didn't last long. I'm 58 now and I've been tying since, however in my university days I didn't seem to have much time except for school. And now, don't tie nearly as many flies as I used to, but love collecting materials just the same.

I have to admit, I feel a little out of place, as a lot of you have been tying longer than I've been alive. But I've been tying dries for about four months and I'm looking forward to trying them out this summer. I appreciate all the knowledge being shared here, guys.

JoeBillingsley! I've only ever tied one fly sober & it sucked, so i'll never try that again! But it dosen't mean i'm really drunk tying my flies! Just need my beer & smokes! Meeshka! I love finding some new fluff too!

as a lot of you have been tying longer than I've been alive.

Owwww !!! Cuts to the bone like a newly sharpened Ginsu Knife !!!

LOL Welcome to the site, Wsleeper.

I hate to admit it but the list of folks that have been doing anything longer then I have been alive is much shorter these days. Not retired yet but is most definitely on the radar.

I have to admit, I feel a little out of place, as a lot of you have been tying longer than I've been alive. But I've been tying dries for about four months and I'm looking forward to trying them out this summer. I appreciate all the knowledge being shared here, guys.

WELCOME, when you feel ready, post up those fish and fly photos, we live vicariously here... Sure fish will fear your work :)

In 1957 I got a Herter's vise --pot metal POC with no positive hook hold -- and struggled with that for a few years before buying a then-serious tool. The tying materials were largely scrounged from my Mom's sewing stuff and animal skins and feathers in old clothes, with some deer hair and game bird feathers donated by hunters. I bent straight many a 'kirbed' hook in those years until I found a serious shop I could get to on my bike.

Things have grown way out of hand over the years...

Rocco

In 1957 I got a Herter's vise --pot metal POC with no positive hook hold -- and struggled with that for a few years before buying a then-serious tool. The tying materials were largely scrounged from my Mom's sewing stuff and animal skins and feathers in old clothes, with some deer hair and game bird feathers donated by hunters. I bent straight many a 'kirbed' hook in those years until I found a serious shop I could get to on my bike.

Things have grown way out of hand over the years...

Rocco

Welcome to fossil Club, will post picture of a Herter's vice base, if I can figure out the Uploading protocols. Rocco, just wish I began tying much sooner, trying now to make up for lost time. I love your post here. Back to the Non-Future for me...

Carry On