Fly Tying
Streambum4trout

Years tying flies

Started thing when I was a kid 6 or 7, just really basic stuff didn't really have a way too learn or money to buy materials or tools I used channel locks, we did have chickens though. Took a class in 6th grade (public school) learned a decent amount, still just typed only what I needed to fish though. I stopped tying and fishing when I was 16 due to cost of licences shelling it for that and hunting was rough and I would rather eat quail than trout. Just started tying again in the last year or so shortly before I joined the forum.

Retro ... don't worry about me! My ego needs no massaging.

I consider myself a fly fisherman who ties to go fishing. Yes, Virginia, one CAN save money tying one's own flies.

Unlike Stabgnid ... I DO fly fish, and often.

Before this long stay in a hotel, I could count on my fingers (no toes needed) the number of flies I'd tied just for the sake of tying them. Now, I think I'll need to take my shoes off ... but as soon as I am home, I'll go back to tying what I fish with.

Dude do you Know why I don't fly fish ??? Well hell I will tell you I have been in a dang wheelchair for the last 7 years there is really not a place for me to fish without killing somebody . I do fish from the limited places I have access to ..

Steve-stabgnid

I have been trying to tie flies for nearly twenty years lol smile.png

The fish don't seem to mind em :)

I tied my first fly a few days before my second son was born, which was just over 3 years ago. I got away from fishing for a while focusing mainly on hunting, the transition from spinning gear to fly gear was a process in its own, but tying is now a hobby it's own from the others.

Eide I don't know if I believe 5 yrs could produce the technical quality you consistently post.

Stabgnid open invitation to Erie PA. Good amount of access for most anything you want, perch to steelhead depending on season.

I didn't start fly fishing until the late 80's or early 90's. Probably started tying about the same time. Really didn't get into serious tying until 1997 when I joined a Fly Fishing list, [email protected] It introduced me to some really good tyers, ideas, materials and got me involved in fly swaps, and an exercise called the "Smallest Fly Project" which probably started my vision on its downward slide. So call it 20 years of serious tying. Like Mike, most of the stuff I tie is for fishing. I like to experiment with different concepts. It's my way of relaxing and keeping what little sanity I have left these days.

Lineman

I lived next door to H.J.Noll. Guy was a grumpy guy for sure, had 8 women tying flies in the building. I still have a kit untouched since 1967 and lots of his books/directions. he made the flies for the fliers in the pacific during WWII for the survival kits. after his passing his brother took over and moved the company away. (let it go after a few years) I bought the original building and used it as a custom car shop for years.

tying for 50 years now !!! that's half a century....

Great story sandflyx, thanks for sharing that! I also have an original unused kit that I bought on ebay that I display at my tying area.

I've been tying materials on hooks for 28 years, some of my results look pretty good but either way the fish don't care. My flies will never win any competitions for beauty LOL ! But they do work for sure. I've been fishing for going on 61 years this upcoming spring and fly fishing for 30 years more or less..

The funny thing I do not fly fish ..

Steve-stabgnid

Unlike Stabgnid ... I DO fly fish, and often.

Dude do you Know why I don't fly fish ???

No offense was intended, Steve. Just replying, with your first comment on my mind.

Started at 14 back in '63 in Wiesbaden Germany as an Air Force brat. Old man was on the board of governors of the rod and gun club. I worked summers at the skeet range. All the flies in the club store were Orvis and all the mat'ls were Herters. They had a couple of local trout streams leased and stocked. Caught wild fish in Garmisch and Bertchisgadenon summer trips. They discontinued the fly tying materials and discounted it all to me. Had some unusual stuff like quill wing cutters, etc. Tied off and on after coming back state side and warm water stuff only till last 10 years bi annual trips to Arkansas tailwaters for trouting. Mostly bass bugging and some red drum salty stuff when I can.

Wealth of knowledge around here and constant creation/ ideas flowing from these guys!

When I was 10 in Biloxi Ms. Notice the intensity in the eyes....still got dat! Still live in Misipi.

F2EDADFD-7D0F-40CF-8159-FEB8E7517DCA_zps

One of these days administration is gonna let us put location under our user name so we can know where ereybody is coming from. I think I last registered here in '04 after got mad at these guys and had stayed gone a couple of years and decided couldn't do without this place....later DL

Collins, Ms.

8410834C-85D8-446C-A804-53DD97F4EED4_zps