Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GG34

6wt bass line

Eh I would say there is a difference between my higher end lines and the cheaper ones. Mostly I notice it when it is hot out but the coating on the cheaper lines aren't as slick not that the cheap ones don't work just fine but there is a noticeable difference imo. I just always try to get nice ones on sale.

My largest flies are tied on a 2/0 stinger hook ... and I usually throw those on a 5 weight. I do have an 8 weight for the less aerodynamic patterns. But all of my rods are lined with $10.00 line.

I would agree with mikechell, vicente and JS -- if you're not going to be throwing anything bigger than a #4 and/or making long casts, any decent WF line should do what you want it to do. If your rod has a fast action, I'd say overline it with the WF7F and call it good. That way you can load the rod more easily on short casts, but you can also haul off and throw a 60-foot cast or throw bigger flies if you take a notion to.

I get all my lines from the Cabelas website's "Bargain Cave" -- their store-brand lines are made by Scientific Anglers and you can usually get a basic WF for around $20 or less if you watch for them.

If it's a TFO clouser rod, I wouldn't hesitate at all by overlining one size up. A long time ago, some of the Pike guys turned me on to the inexpensive SA Mastery Headstart line series which is no longer made. It was very reasonably priced and marketed for beginners. You can still find a few out there but it is an excellent bass line because of the heavy head designed to turn over easier and make casting easier for the "novice", but yet it contained all the good qualities of the Mastery series lines as to slickness and floatability.

IMO you are seriously overthinking it. If you're fishing a 6 weight and only using bugs and flies up to size 4 or maybe 2, just buy a line and go fishing. SO MUCH marketing hype. I seem to remember being extremely happy and catching tons of fish way back when there were not SPECIAL lines for every species of fish, and every type of fly, and every kind of water, and every kind of weather. Put a 6 or 7 weight line on your rod and go fishing. Adapt your casts to the variables you encounter.

I agree with JSzymczyk get a line that will load your rod and throw most of the flies you want proficiently and a nice thick leader. If you have to chuck and duck your heavier flies so be it no harm, as the fish probably don't care. That's the viewpoint from this beginner anyway.

Thanks for this link! I hate using a stripping basket and I hesitate to use some of my stupidly expensive lines when I hit the jetties or fish around barnicle encrusted docks. This line solves that problem.