Fly Tying

Appropriately named the "slump buster" is really a buster of slumps. This fly is so easy to tie, yet so effective! You can tie up 10-20 in an hour, and is effective for so many species of fish. Its tail moves wonderfully, the front body is wide almost like a sculpin, and its got enough weight to give some jig action. You can catch bass, crappie, small pike, many species of saltwater fish, and mostly trout. In fact, the last time I fished with this fly I caught a nice 24-25" wild brown trout on the Animas River, in Durango Colorado. This is for sure one of my go to streamers for trout fishing. Being so easy to tie, I always have a few of these in my box.

Hook: Umpqua U301 - size 10
Thread: UTC ultra thread 70 - Brown/olive
Weight: 4.8mm brass cone head
Body: UTC sparkle braid - UV Fl. chartreuse
Tail and head: Pine squirrel strips: Sculpin olive.

Appropriately named the "slump buster" is really a buster of slumps. This fly is so easy to tie, yet so effective! You can tie up 10-20 in an hour, and is effective for so many species of fish. Its tail moves wonderfully, the front body is wide almost like a sculpin, and its got enough weight to give some jig action. You can catch bass, crappie, small pike, many species of saltwater fish, and mostly trout. In fact, the last time I fished with this fly I caught a nice 24-25" wild brown trout on the Animas River, in Durango Colorado. This is for sure one of my go to streamers for trout fishing. Being so easy to tie, I always have a few of these in my box.

Hook: Umpqua U301 - size 10

Thread: UTC ultra thread 70 - Brown/olive

Weight: 4.8mm brass cone head

Body: UTC sparkle braid - UV Fl. chartreuse

Tail and head: Pine squirrel strips: Sculpin olive.

Well, it is kinda Ugly, apology to John Barr, but gets you invite to join the Butte Ugly Flies that Catch Fish Swap, now enrolling...

LOL ok... I think its a decent looking fly... But, all I know is it catches fish and is super simple to tie. So... Yeah. I like it. HAHA Most of Barr's flies aren't made to look like art though, he fishes them hard and they do well. :) There is still a bit of beauty to flies that catch fish in my opinion, like a rugged good looks kinda thing. No pretty boy, but a good work horse. HAHA

LOL ok... I think its a decent looking fly... But, all I know is it catches fish and is super simple to tie. So... Yeah. I like it. HAHA Most of Barr's flies aren't made to look like art though, he fishes them hard and they do well. :) There is still a bit of beauty to flies that catch fish in my opinion, like a rugged good looks kinda thing. No pretty boy, but a good work horse. HAHA

Precisely the point of the Swap, so jump in. You will get an awesome assortment with investment of (your estimate) 1.5 hours. Other swappers will get a truly effective sample fly..

And, BTW, liking your videos more each time...

LOL ok... I think its a decent looking fly... But, all I know is it catches fish and is super simple to tie. So... Yeah. I like it. HAHA Most of Barr's flies aren't made to look like art though, he fishes them hard and they do well. smile.png There is still a bit of beauty to flies that catch fish in my opinion, like a rugged good looks kinda thing. No pretty boy, but a good work horse. HAHA

Precisely the point of the Swap, so jump in. You will get an awesome assortment with investment of (your estimate) 1.5 hours. Other swappers will get a truly effective sample fly..

And, BTW, liking your videos more each time...

What is 1.5 hours?

Thank you for that, I am always trying to improve the vids. its a learning process along with fly tying. This is a fly I've tied for quite a long time, but occasionally I try new stuff that I put up on video and it will occasionally do well or bad. Depending. HAHA

I thought for a while you were saying swamp... Like a bog... Sorry.. So there is a "swap"? I didnt know that. Im not 100% sure I want to enroll in that. Can I remove myself from the enrollment? HAHA I do appreciate it though.

Interested to know why you don't rib it with wire like the original - I assumed the ribbing was used to prevent the fly from coming apart easily from toothy critters

I tie something similar that I call Big Purple, but it's tied with a stripped rabbit zonker strip, obviously in purple. By that I mean I cut the standard large zonker strip (you get in packages) in half the long way. I use about a 4" long piece though and a 4x long #4 or even a #2 streamer hook. I use silver tinsel and orange monochord. The Zonker is tied in at three different points till at about the halfway point of the hook shank, then palmered forward the rest of the way and tied off ( usually get about 3-4 turns of palmering in). I tie them with and without cone heads depending how deep I want it to run. Super effective on big salmon and big bass at last light of the day or right after sunset. Also good in the spring leech runs any time of day the leeches are around but especially drizzly overcast days . For the leeches Lake trout like those and they prefer the orange head on them.

Anyway, big fish getters.

Interested to know why you don't rib it with wire like the original - I assumed the ribbing was used to prevent the fly from coming apart easily from toothy critters

Yes your right, it would help. I honestly would if you wanted it to last longer, it can come apart. I don't because it really does take that much longer to wind the wire through the zonker hair. I can make 2 of these for every one without the wire. So I generally don't do that for that reason. But yes, it does help keep it together. I do catch about 5-10 fish per fly though without problems. And probably better if you use a thicker thread.

I tie something similar that I call Big Purple, but it's tied with a stripped rabbit zonker strip, obviously in purple. By that I mean I cut the standard large zonker strip (you get in packages) in half the long way. I use about a 4" long piece though and a 4x long #4 or even a #2 streamer hook. I use silver tinsel and orange monochord. The Zonker is tied in at three different points till at about the halfway point of the hook shank, then palmered forward the rest of the way and tied off ( usually get about 3-4 turns of palmering in). I tie them with and without cone heads depending how deep I want it to run. Super effective on big salmon and big bass at last light of the day or right after sunset. Also good in the spring leech runs any time of day the leeches are around but especially drizzly overcast days . For the leeches Lake trout like those and they prefer the orange head on them.

sounds like a good fly. I tie mine in rabbit also. They have thin rabbit strips at http://jsflyfishing.com. would allow you to tie without cutting in half if you want. I use the full size rabbit as well sometimes, on a larger hook with a heavier weight. Usually when I'm fishing bass at my local lake it works really well. But the big browns on the San Juan like it larger like that as well. But I do have more hits with this smaller pine squirrel one, just more often its a smaller fish. That larger sized one is awesome for targeting huge fish. I tie it in white, gray, black, olive, and brown. Its tough though to find pine squirrel where I live in anything else than natural...

I tie them in white also but smaller and also in Big Black strips which is almost as successful as the purple. I tried olive but not much for takers on that for some reason, I had high hopes for it but the olive sits down on the bottom of my tying box somewhere now. It's like all olive woolly buggers that so many rave about on here, not much luck on those either. Olive with grizzly hackle works fine though, odd.

I tie them in white also but smaller and also in Big Black strips which is almost as successful as the purple. I tried olive but not much for takers on that for some reason, I had high hopes for it but the olive sits down on the bottom of my tying box somewhere now. It's like all olive woolly buggers that so many rave about on here, not much luck on those either. Olive with grizzly hackle works fine though, odd.

Yeah, every river and fishery is different. Ive had olive work awesome at some places, and I cannot even think about praying for a bite at others. Pretty much all fisheries handle black and white though for most streamers... At least where I have fished...