Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lotech Joe

Partridge & Orange

The lakes around here are still frozen over and I'm bored, so I'm tying up some Partridge & Orange Soft Hackles in anticipation of hungry Bluegills and Crappies. Anybody else here chase these denizens of the deep? What are your favorite bugs to use?

These are my go to fly for big bluegill (for ca anyways) white craft fur under flashy fibre from fly tyers dungeon on a size 6 stinger hook. Should catch just about any warm water fish as long as they are eating.

post-58401-0-24903700-1487449277_thumb.jpg

I was actually going to take a ride tomorrow and see if any ponds are free of ice . But if so we still won't see bluegill till about May. A Coachman or Leadwing Coachman wet is good for those here or else anything bright as time moves on. But for now and with open water there is plenty of other fishing going on if one wants to brave the cold winds around here.

Vicente's fly in black over orange over white will kill Nebraska bluegills, orange the key. In Cheyenne city ponds, use soft hackles in Fifty Shades of Olive or Gray.

I've used soft hackles, Partridge and yellow and Partridge and chartreuse seem to work best around here. Normally, I fish for sunfish with top waters but I use the soft hackles as a dropper. I'll have to give the Partridge and Orange a try. I think I have some Orange floss somewhere in my materials. I haven't done that much fishing for crappie with a fly rod though it looks like I'll have more opportunities this year. I've also had good success with pearl estaz bugs for big bluegill and the few crappie I've caught.

Here in central CA, I have found early season bluegill catching is better with a float and a nymph. The take seems to be so subtle that a float really helps. I like a beadhead Pheasant Tail, copper bead. I know gills are not suppose to be picky. When they just start to move around, it was the real little ones that come into the shallows first. I think your soft hackles would be just as good, maybe better.

Bob

I know gills are not suppose to be picky.

Common misconception, especially on this site it seems. Small fish of ANY species aren't picky.

Trout fishermen think sunfish are easy to catch, but pat themselves on the back for fooling multitudes 4 inch trout with a tiny fly.

Yes, you can catch small sunfish all day long, but you can catch small trout all day long, too. There are several videos on THIS site that prove it.

Just like all other species, however, big ones are much harder to get on the hook.

My favorite fly is similar to mikechells for bream. I use squirrel for tail and wing. I also have some flash out the back but what I like best is I use four rubber legs that spread out like a weed guard. Call it mr wiggler.

I know gills are not suppose to be picky.

Common misconception, especially on this site it seems. Small fish of ANY species aren't picky.

Trout fishermen think sunfish are easy to catch, but pat themselves on the back for fooling multitudes 4 inch trout with a tiny fly.

Yes, you can catch small sunfish all day long, but you can catch small trout all day long, too. There are several videos on THIS site that prove it.

Just like all other species, however, big ones are much harder to get on the hook.

Just curious Mike, how big was the largest Bluegill you have caught?