Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

Fly Knots

For permit... the big difference between a loop knot and clinch type knot isn't how the fish sees the fly - it's whether it's weed fouled when you do that one tiny strip and you're on the bottom in heavy, thick turtle grass (along the oceanside of the upper Keys and inside Biscayne Bay that's the bottom we used to find many, many big bones on -fish over ten pounds with half a tail fin measuring five to six inches..). Anything to keep that fly sinking level instead of nose first on that kind of bottom -where the fly has to remain right on the bottom, motion-less until the fish is close enough to see it is a real plus. Even small fish balk at eating a fly that's snagged on grass... one that rises on a twitch from grass it's sitting on (or in) is a big plus... no science needed...

I've always called that approach to working big spooky bones a "gambler's style" since we'd lay the fly out a good ten feet in front of the fish and just let it sit until a fish was within about three feet of it... You're "gambling" since the fish rarely move in a straight line when they're tailing over thick grass. If you toss a fly so that it lands close to big bones you mostly just scare them - that's why the need to drop the fly a good bit ahead of them and simply not move it until the fish it close. If the fish doesn't move the right way you have to pick up and re-cast... Great fun - but tough to teach a first timer out on the flats where you're pretty much only looking for big tails...

Capt Bob

I'm very interested in your set up from start to finish. Reel all the way to the fly and the knots used. I use a double uni knot on flouro to braid on spinning gear. Can I use that on my fly rod, backing to line, etc.

Due to serious back injuries it's tough for me to flyfish all day long at the front of the boat although I still do it. I am liking the comfort of the bay boat. I'm contemplating on getting serious on shark fishing on the fly. I am in Key Largo and Islamorada a lot.

And thank you for all your kindly advice, it is appreciated!

What do you guys think about the Kreh Loop Knot? I just recently learned that one for some inshore gear fishing. Anyone use that for fly fishing?

That is the same thing as the non slip mono loop. I acutally use it to loop the end of my leader.

My favorite is the canoeman loop knot. Super easy.

For you guys who like fixed knots, here's one that's new to me, but according to the article, it's much stronger than the clinch knot. I'm talking about the San Diego 6-turn - the first one described here. I'm curious to know if anybody's tried it. The bull reds should arrive here in about six weeks of so - it might be worth giving it a try just for the heck of it.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots

The article states that knots have "advanced" over the years. Maybe so, but complexity offsets any benefits, in my style of fishing.

Since I don't use anything below 6 pound test (and rarely below 10 pound test), the clinch knot works just fine for me.

Have you ever tried fishing with a loop knot Mike? It's not about strength it's about movement, your panfishing attractor would probably benefit from one. Try it sometime when the fish aren't being too cooperative.

I used to tie a loop knot when I was spinning a Rapala. But with the adoption of braided lines (super limp), I didn't need them. When I got back into fly fishing, I fished with a guy in Texas who always tied on with a loop knot. We were basically using the same presentation. We matched, fish for fish, both in numbers and sizes. It was way before my Attractor, but we were using streamers.

That day on the water convinced me that loop or no loop, the fish will hit.

I am in the school of, "If it ain't broke ...".

The article states that knots have "advanced" over the years. Maybe so, but complexity offsets any benefits, in my style of fishing.

Since I don't use anything below 6 pound test (and rarely below 10 pound test), the clinch knot works just fine for me.

Use Trilene knot if a big fished straightens out the knot, it probably won't break but it can slip with a big fish. Skip the "Improved Clinch" entirely, it may not slip but reduces the breaking point by about %40, depending on the tippet...

Use Trilene knot if a big fished straightens out the knot, it probably won't break but it can slip with a big fish. Skip the "Improved Clinch" entirely, it may not slip but reduces the breaking point by about %40, depending on the tippet...

You hit it right on the head, Flat Rock. Clinch knots (improved or non-improved) are relatively weak and slip like hell under pressure, as most of us have found out the hard way. Pound for pound, saltwater gamefish are many times more powerful than those found in fresh water, and if you don't rig your gear accordingly, you're gonna be in for a lot of disappointment.