Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Packing in Waders

Vicente ... wading ... in a speedo ... and nothing else ...

Now I need to go take some drugs and try poking my "mind's eye" out ... !!!

I've packed in my waders at times. I have an older pair of Orvis Pro Guide IIs (I think) and they have 3 layer construction in some areas, 5 layers in others. Someday i'd like to get a pair of lightweight waders for less bulk, or even wading pants. But the current waders will fit in my 40 liter REI day pack, with the boots tied on outside, each boot hanging on each side of the pack, not in back, tied together with their laces. If BOA laced, i'm sure you could come up with a method still i imagine, try using carabiners.

My boots are rubber soled, and much better than my old pair of felt soled waders. For walk-ins under 2 miles, i'll just wear the boots, pack the waders, or wear both. anything longer, i'm hiking in my hiking shoes.

eric

fresno, ca.

I lived in Michigan's UP a number of years ago and wet waded there. I use light nylon wind pants and go commando. I also use Simms wet wading socks which dry out quickly also. I put my wallet and license in a ziplock bag and then put that bag into another ziplock bag and they never got wet. Yes, you do get wet and have to change (maybe) on the way home but it sure beats sweating in waders and/or hauling them in.

I'm going to start after I've moved house as most water involved fence climbing. I have a small backpack that will hold water bladder if required. Haven't decided on what I'm doing with boots yet.

I lived in Michigan's UP a number of years ago and wet waded there. I use light nylon wind pants and go commando. I also use Simms wet wading socks which dry out quickly also. I put my wallet and license in a ziplock bag and then put that bag into another ziplock bag and they never got wet. Yes, you do get wet and have to change (maybe) on the way home but it sure beats sweating in waders and/or hauling them in.

Pretty much the exact setup I use when I do wet wade, except I can't do the commando thing -- I have a couple pairs of these

http://catalog.theflyshop.com/the-fly-shops-wet-wading-briefs/

and they work quite well. :)

I like the super-lightweight, super-quick-dry pants made for saltwater flats fishing. If it's a nice sunny day, the pants and the briefs will both be bone-dry by the time I get back to the car.

I frequently tuck my waders into my float tube and pack both in to back-country lakes. Instead of heavy boots I put a pair of diver's slippers over my wader booties to keep my fins from chafing them, so that cuts weight.

If I am going to bushwhack along streams and fight salmonberry and devil's club I just wear my jeans over the waders to provide a layer of protection. There's no law that says the waders have to be outside the pants. Peeing can be a bit problematic though.

Pretty much the exact setup I use when I do wet wade, except I can't do the commando thing -- I have a couple pairs of these

and they work quite well. :)

I like the super-lightweight, super-quick-dry pants made for saltwater flats fishing. If it's a nice sunny day, the pants and the briefs will both be bone-dry by the time I get back to the car.

Tighty whitey wader scivees, now I have seen it all.

and they work quite well. smile.png

Tighty whitey wader scivees, now I have seen it all.

Hey, laugh if you want to, but they are the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned -- if there's one area on my body that I DON'T want to be clammy and chafed, it would be that one. smile.png

Also, re: "going commando" -- there are leeches in some of the streams I wade, and that settles that issue for me. smile.png