Fly Tying
flytire

March Flies From The Vise

That is a really nice fly GP, you may want to do many of us a favor and write up a little S-B-S and put it into that forum too, which is more searcher friendly. Glad you are in some of the same swaps in next few weeks!

Took my tying stuff to the laundromat this evening. Knocked out 6 rabbit and feather things ... playing with rabbit strips, which I've never used before.

attachicon.gifHoffman Estates 3-7-17 2.jpg

This little, old guy, comes up and watches me. I start putting my stuff away, and he asks if I sell those. I said no, you want some? He said yes, and I handed him 3 of them. I figure he'll put a worm on the end and fish them under a bobber.

Nice touch Mike :)

Great job on the Merganser Duckling, Bruce !!

Retro ... cool effects on the body, both color and segmentation.

Everyone else ... Your March patterns and pictures are looking fantastic.

Thanks for nice comments Mike .....;)

That is a really nice fly GP, you may want to do many of us a favor and write up a little S-B-S and put it into that forum too, which is more searcher friendly. Glad you are in some of the same swaps in next few weeks!

Thanks!

Playing with fish masks on a small streamer I've had good success with. It's supposed to look like a baby brook trout - for the browns, rainbows and large brookies on a tailwater near me. There has been a massive wild brookie boom the past 10 years, and it's been awesome to be landing a 3-6" brookie and have 16-20" trout chasing it and trying to eat it as you reel it in! So, this was my response.

It's tails lower level is pinkish orange "shrimp" ice dub, the main tail is olive craft fur. The body is a combo of the same ice dub and craft fur blended and put into a dubbing loop then trimmed to form the body. I used to use resin to make the noggin and hold in eyes, these I tried #3 fish masks - I really like them, the lighter weight should workout nicely. I used to use a #10 or #12 scud hook for these, but this one is trying a #10 finesse hook.

Not sure why that posted upside down... it's set up to swim hook point down...

post-24830-0-00236500-1489165147_thumb.jpg

Agreed, retrocarp @ #111, mikechell might be more famous for his big mind or bigger mouth but he is a Righteous Dude. Thanks, Mike, for making fly tiers everywhere look good, with such a gesture.

CINNAMON%20CADDIS%20EMERGER%20-%203%201_

CINNAMON CADDIS EMERGER – TMC 102Y, #15 – #17…

OPAL%20TRAILING%20BUBBLE%20CADDIS%2016%2

OPAL TRAILING BUBBLE SNOWSHOE R & B CADDIS (Tan)… # 16’s…

PT/TB

OK, this one was just too colorful not to attempt to tie.

Pryce-Tannatt’s version of a “Variegated Sun Fly”

Hook: size 4

Tag: Oval silver tinsel and light blue floss

Tail: GP topping with a red GP feather substitute

Body: Yellow, black, and orange yarn

Hackle: Black

Wings: Six GP toppings

Var_Sun_0317_zpss1emnfeq.jpg