Fly Tying
breambuster

Guide's Choice Fly Swap With A Twist

Breambuster

I have a good idea of what you are looking for in the Middle Man but have not seen a pic or pattern description.

I was thinking of:

sz 14-16 hook

brown zlon shuck

abdomen rust goose biot

head/thorax pmd yellow dubbing

loop wing can go with CDC or Zlon

I could also do a deer hair emerger wing if you want to go that direction.

I am open to any ideas or adjustments for this pattern.

Thanks

Joeh

Vicente, PLEASE read all the way to the end. I found a LOT of help after writing this post. (Video link at the end of this reply.) It's an Ed Berg creation. His thing was basically delicate parachute flies tied sparsely. He said that with heavily-fished areas, he found that the less material he used to tie the fly, the better it worked. He would fold a narrow piece of z-lon under the hook shank & tie it in place with a couple of figure-eight wraps under the shank. Then he dubbed this body. This one uses "fine dry fly dubbing." It also looks like it's ribbed with gold colored floss, of maybe a gold colored tying thread flattened out. I'm not sure if he would make a post on the wing with tying thread or if he just bunched the z-lon together and made several hackle wraps to make the post. It looks like he tried to make as few thread wraps as possible. The finished fly looks like any other parachute except that the post is really thin. Not much material is used to make it. I can send you a full materials list and I can scan the page (black and white) and email that to you if you don't mind giving me your email address. All I have on it is one page and half of that page is a picture. There is no step-by-step. The picture also looks like he didn't take more than 3 wraps of hackle. The body looks as full as a normal parachute, but the post and hackle looks like he used the least amount possible. The tail looks like 3 microfibbetts and the thread is 8/0 or 10/0. The hackle is light dun and the body looks like a light cahill dubbing. ----- OK. I did some searching after writing this post and found a VIDEO of Ed Berg tying this pattern. The link is

Take a look at the video and let me know what you think.

Take care

BB

Vicente The book says anything from a #12 to a #24. I would suggest a #16. Some of us older tyers would be seriously challenged to put on anything much smaller than that.

When we did the Parachute Skill Builder Swap, I did a size 14 and the critique that Henrik gave was the hackle fibers were too short. I used a #14 hook and a #14 hackle. But he said that the tips need to reach all the way to the bend of the hook. So I'm thinking that it might be better to go up one hook in hackle size. That is to say that if you are tying a size #16 parachute fly, you would use a size #14 hackle. Some of the more experienced tiers can correct me on that if I'm wrong. I tie more classic dry flies than parachutes, but I'm thinking that I need to tie a lot more parachutes.

Take care

BB

Ok, Guys, This swap is full. We now have 13 swappers and all the patterns are taken. Thanks to all of you who joined. We still have a little while before the flies are due, but it's no time to rest on your laurels. Let's get busy and get to tying. It's going to be an awesome set of flies to add to your collection. And hopefully, these flies are going to result in some nice fish. Be sure to post pictures of anything you catch with these. They are all supposed to be proven patterns used by fishing guides who don't want their clients to go home empty-handed.

Take care

BB

Thanks for the invite BB. Work and other stuff has kept me away. Just saw your invite yesterday. Glad swap is full.

BreamBuster are you aware of this local club

http://cffc.memberlodge.com/

Great group for you to meet some local fly fishers.

oh yeah, so,glad I got into this swap, need to stop running the keyboard & mouth and stay in front of my Not-a-Law vise.

Bye now!

Vicente, for someone who has never tied a Parachute, I think you're going very well. The only things that I see are that you could move the wing JUST A SMIDGE toward the hook eye. You hackle tips are plenty long enough to do this. The wing should be at the 1/3 of the way back from the hook eye. It looks like it's a tiny bit behind that. I'm talking about a really small amount. The other thing is that the rib should stop behind the wing and you could put in another turn or two by putting the ribs a bit closer together. In the picture in the book, there are 4 turns of rib between the tail and the wing and none in front of the wing.

Hope this helps.

BB

GP Fisherman's flies are here! They arrived yesterday. First set in and they are NICE! Haystacks in 2 sizes! All of you will be getting 2 flies from GP Fisherman! Thanks, GP for the great work.

Take care

BB