Fly Tying
fshng84

Largemouth Bass Weight Estimator

Thanks, used trout formula for quite some time. Needing a bass calculator, as a local warm water fishery is developing magnificently.

I always went by the lost fish rule. Any bass that embarrassed me by throwing a lure over six feet in the air at the peak of his jump was a ten-pounder. If it snapped a ffteen pound test line on a deep water wrap around it was 9 lb.. Add two pounds for a broken rod.

The odd thing is that I can remember each escape in detail but not much of actually landing a lot of bruisers -- including the 9 lb-er mount over my puter.

Rocco

Bass weight by length only, without measuring girth ... an extremely rough guess is all that is.

That's what Texas Parks and Wildlife noted in their study. Was mainly for catch and release contests where the fish are released immediately and not weighed. So far it's been good at estimating Bass in our area over the years. Of course, when you get that Bruiser with the big tummy, that throws the tables off. :-)