Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Rust proof fly boxes

I think they are the biggest crock of [email protected] I have ever seen. Figures orvis would market that. I use zerust tabs at work , have for years. IF they are not sealed in a plastic air tight bag , they go bad. Chances are that the zerust in those boxes will have worn out before they ever even leave the orvis stores.

sd,

I can get VCI packets from work. Sprinkle some in your box and you are protected. Let me know if you want a couple to try it.

Art

What is VCI Art i'm not familiar with that. Is it something that would stay in the box like a powder?

Reason I was looking at these boxes is I'm very bad to put my flies away before they are completly dry and they seem to get some rust on the hooks. I know its my fault but its a bad habit I have.

When has a car manufacturer ever made a car to not rust?, This sounds like it will be taken off the market as it will be just as harmfull as lead. laugh.gif

Well, all metal cars will rust at some point but their are companys such as Zebart that use rust inhibitors to prevent rust from forming for an extended amount of time.

Vapour Corrossion Inhibitor. It basically is a powder that evaporates and bonds to the metal. I think that in this case it would be more of a case of treating the hook before it gets wet.

Art

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Feb 25 2005, 08:04 PM)
Well, all metal cars will rust at some point but their are companys such as Zebart that use rust inhibitors to prevent rust from forming for an extended amount of time.

Yes but as we all know cars are a replacement game, and I'm sure manufactures build them that way. As far as rust profing your flies dry them out when you get home. I sometimes neglet them myself and then I will wash them in the sink or basin then let them dry.

Another trick that I've seen similar to the fly trap is to use a film cannister with vent holes and a lanyard. Pop all your used flies in it, and they can dry out some before you get back home, or you place them back into your box.

Art

This is where I love my William Joseph chest pack. It has a large fly patch inside the front pocket. I store all my used flies here where they can dry and closing the zippers on the pocket stops me from losing my flies while they dry, as opposed to a conventional fly patch on your vest or otherwise. Most times they are all dry before I even get home, and if not the patch is attached by velcro and I can just take it out and hang it up somewhere.

This is where I love my William Joseph chest pack. It has a large fly patch inside the front pocket. I store all my used flies here where they can dry and closing the zippers on the pocket stops me from losing my flies while they dry, as opposed to a conventional fly patch on your vest or otherwise. Most times they are all dry before I even get home, and if not the patch is attached by velcro and I can just take it out and hang it up somewhere.

Sign in to follow this