Fly Tying
RogueFlies

Regal- Stainless Steel Jaws

... just to bug you Mike. LOL...Never show your weekness bro.

I don't care what everyone else says about you, Silk. You're a funny guy !!!

No weakness ... I just stop reading after a sentence or two.

Help Mike.

I'm no longer sure what you're typing about, since I just scanned over it all and got to this. All I can help with is to repeat a joke from Adam.

"Using punctuation can really change a sentence. For example: 'Let's eat, Grandpa.' becomes 'Let's eat punctuation.'"

Theirs, uh there's, uh the're's ,, uh,, Mike!! help me out here bro..

Naw ... There's no help for you, Silk. You've crossed the boundary. You're now an honorary member of Generation Z (in mind, not in body).

oh my, the "let's eat, grandpa" made me laugh. Yea, one little comma makes a huge difference. LOL

On a day filled with spectroscopy and physics finals, Silk's humor is welcomed and very much appreciated. The vise you showed looks really awesome! I'm curious, the jaws look like mongoose jaws, which I'm curious if they are or if you used your mekanickel enginearing skillz to make yurs.

RougueFlies,

You nailed it. Those are MY version of Mongoose Jaws. Kind of an Abel/ Mongoose hybrid. It's an Abel style vise with Mongoose style jaws. I did not want screw type jaws like an Abel has so I made cam style jaws for mine. Mongoose style designed to fit on my design. Mongoose jaws rock! They hold TIGHT! I liked the mechanical advantage the Mongoose jaws have. Lots of leverage. And yes I own a Mongoose vise.

I've never had issues with my standard or stainless jaw versions of regal vices. The original is about 30 years old - close to that. The stainless maybe 2 or so years now.

Once I got the stainless, I'd say about 80-90% of my tying has gone on there. It's definitely better (due to sharper tip for lack of a better term) for small stuff. Even 16's or so feel better to tie on the SS jaws to me. But, for big stuff, like 2/0 or larger, I like the original jaws better still. So I use those when doing bigger flies...

RougueFlies,

You nailed it. Those are MY version of Mongoose Jaws. Kind of an Abel/ Mongoose hybrid. It's an Abel style vise with Mongoose style jaws. I did not want screw type jaws like an Abel has so I made cam style jaws for mine. Mongoose style designed to fit on my design. Mongoose jaws rock! They hold TIGHT! I liked the mechanical advantage the Mongoose jaws have. Lots of leverage. And yes I own a Mongoose vise.

I own a mongoose and love that vise to death!!! Just tied my largest on it, a 6/0 the other week and it held that fly harder than anything. Your design looks great my friend.