Fly Tying
feathers5

White Woolly Buggers for Trout

Does anyone do any good with white woolly buggers for trout? Just curious. If you do would share a pattern?

Thanks

Let's see... White maribou tail , white hackle body hackle, white chenille body... Oh, and then there is the variant with purple beads and flashibou accents.

The 'fly' is most likely mistaken as a chunk of spawned out salmon or other dead carcass floating downstream in the current. Not high on my list of forage imitations.

But it works. As does trout farm kibble imitations.

Rocco

Does anyone do any good with white woolly buggers for trout? Just curious. If you do would share a pattern?

Thanks

I do pretty good with this one I tie. Grizzly and white.. Especially when they release the stockers into my local river. They will release 4-6" fish, and the big trout will eat many of them... So when I throw out this, it looks like the small white/silver stockers they throw in.

http://www.mcflyangler.com/freshwater/freshwater-streamers/wooly-bugger-grizzly

A similar fly called the schiminnow is killer for salt water trout, snook and many more. Don't see why it wouldn't be deadly elsewhere.

White with crystal chenille body can work for LLS don't know about trout. I surely use buggers for trout but not all white. Up north I use peacock herl body, grizzly hackle and black tail. Around here that might work one day or red and grizzly another day. Brown chenille with black hackle and olive tail can be really good in some of these ponds for nice sized trout, for years I used those on sinking line for early spring trout. Like this time of year right now into spring.

This one, stripped fast, works well for land-locked Atlantic Salmon in a lake I fish. Works for trout also.

x3T0ma3.jpg

Hook: 3XL or 4XL

Bead: Red

Thread: Red

Weight: Lead wire (optional)

Tail: White marabou

Flash: Blue crystal flash

Abdomen: White angora goat

Hackle: White

I have had decent luck with white woolly buggers for trout, bass and pan fish. I do better with smaller sizes, 14, 1 6 and 18. My favorite is a one created by Tony Spezio called the White River Demon.

Materials

Hook- 2XL or 3XL

Thread- Fluorescent Orange

Tail- White Marabou with 4 to 6 pieces of flash(optional)

Hackle- White

Body- Pearl Braid(for smaller sizes I use Pearl Knotting Cord(craft store version of midge braid)

Head- Gold Bead

This one I tied on size 14 3XL. It's a bit beat up from fishing it last year.

post-309-0-67323200-1489795621_thumb.jpg

I didn't tie this one. I have an aversion for down eyed hooks. But it's a good example and a better quality picture.

post-309-0-48772800-1489795653_thumb.jpg

Another bugger similar to this, I can't remember the name of the guy who came up with it, is called the Catskill Killer

Hook- 2XL or 3XL

Thread- White or Yellow

Tail- Yellow Marabou with 4 to 6 pieces of flash(optional)

Hackle-Yellow

Body- Pearl Braid or Pearl Sparkle Chenille

Head- Gold Bead

It's usually tied in larger sizes since it's intended to imitate the alewives that come over the dam on the West Branch of the Delaware River

Try a variation with ostrich for tail, works better when casting upstream and dead drifting.

The tail fibers have some stiffness and maintain their shape, marabou is a blob around the hook unless you are stripping into rod.

Nice wavy action with the longer ostrich fibers.

Bright days in the summer,, white is my best producing color,,, hooks 3x-4x long size 6 and 4.

Regards,

FK