Fly Tying
Dubs

The Complete Mayfly Swap

C'mon vicente, not everyone fishes with big hairy things all the time. About the biggest you'll see of the mayfly adults is a size 10 and size 16 & 18 are much more common. BWOs are seldom any smaller than an 18 and the midges the guys fish on the tailwaters of some of the most famous and heavily fish waters usually go from 24 and down. I like tying the little guys but also like to tie some of the bigger ones where you can really concentrate on each component because you have so much room on a size 14 hook.

So what your saying is my size 4 is probably not going to work?

Gotta do a rule check... could a soft hackle/flymph type fly count as a nymph? I find these patterns pretty versatile and often fish them as a nymph

Thanks Bob, only 1 more spot! Who can tie a spinner?

1hook you'll have to be more specific, potentially yes but I want something that has the elements of a mayfly nymph. Tails, ribbed abdomen, wingcase

Copy that dubs, I'll come up with something, think ill move away from that idea and go more traditional

I was hoping you'd fill it by now.

If you'll take a saltwater fly fishing Australian, I'll tie up a #14 spinner for you. Just need to make sure I get a suitable pattern sorted.

Thanks Bob, only 1 more spot! Who can tie a spinner?

1hook you'll have to be more specific, potentially yes but I want something that has the elements of a mayfly nymph. Tails, ribbed abdomen, wingcase

Gotta watch that Aussie guy. His idea of a spinner is liable to be something like this.

DSC00798_zpsfccc4ab0.jpg

or this

DSC00799_zps92c2709e.jpg

vicrider this is why I jump in to comment on swaps in which I have not even signed up, ...... but a friend of mine used these "Pistol Pete's" to catch the largest trout in Granite and Crystal lakes in Curt Gowdy State Park, so ....... if you need to empty room in any of your fly boxes, I have Friends in Low Places, near the Beaches of Cheyenne, to take care of your problem!!!!

I'd swing that propeller down and across haha!

I don't know what your gonna do with a box of mayfly imitations besides catch live bait but the spot is yours.

Tie up some spinners, mayfly spinners that is

Thanks mate. It's about technique. :)

I'll be looking at something like this if youre happy with it.

post-22241-0-06824900-1490009124_thumb.jpg

Well I always thought of a spinner being basically defined by a pair of divided wings outrigged on each side.

See what others think and maybe see what Google has to say on the subject

As I understand it:

"Spinner", as it relates to Mayflies, is the adult, after mating/laying eggs. Derived from it's death throws, attempting to remain aloft and spinning in circles on the water's surface.

I'm with Dubs. The spinner concept as used in most ties today is skinny quill wrapped or dubbed body, split tail, wings to the side of Antron or Poly. If you do use hackle it should be tied quite heavy and then trimmer top and bottom to represent the dead wings of the fly in it's final death throes.