Fly Tying
Dubs

The Complete Mayfly Swap

Well your in luck. I mailed mine off yesterday and they are 20's blue wing olives. Not kidding. I know they are small but so are the blue wing olives.

first set came in, Idaho RC wasn't kidding. Nice box of size 20 BWO's

With all the swaps I've been in and sent the smallest fly this time it looks like I'll be sending the biggest fly. The H&L Variant is not designed to be a midge but a large attractor fly that will float through rough water and hold a bead head nymph. President Eisenhower's fly of choice so can the General be wrong?

With all the swaps I've been in and sent the smallest fly this time it looks like I'll be sending the biggest fly. The H&L Variant is not designed to be a midge but a large attractor fly that will float through rough water and hold a bead head nymph. President Eisenhower's fly of choice so can the General be wrong?

I just looked up this pattern. It looks like it will work really well for me with the faster water I fish. I am looking forward to seeing it.

For sure that's going in my box this year.

Looks like a good brookie pattern that would fish well in pocket water... I'm working on a dark olive biot body nymph... size 14s

It's often a tale of two tails. Good, long and relatively straight calf tail I enjoy working with. I'm trying to do some flies with a black calf tail and that tail just doesn't half the length of hair needed to cut and tie that the white I have. I'm using a red tail on some White Millers for the 'gill swap and that is long enough to get two flies out of each cut. I've always enjoyed working with calf but for me some of the harder tail to work is squirrel. I've learned to make a few wraps of squirrel, dab some CA, then finish wrapping. Nothing finishing a nice squirrel streamer, giving the wing a tug and the whole thing pull out. Very slick and smooth hair.

Nick

It's often a tale of two tails. Good, long and relatively straight calf tail I enjoy working with. I'm trying to do some flies with a black calf tail and that tail just doesn't half the length of hair needed to cut and tie that the white I have. I'm using a red tail on some White Millers for the 'gill swap and that is long enough to get two flies out of each cut. I've always enjoyed working with calf but for me some of the harder tail to work is squirrel. I've learned to make a few wraps of squirrel, dab some CA, then finish wrapping. Nothing finishing a nice squirrel streamer, giving the wing a tug and the whole thing pull out. Very slick and smooth hair.

Nick

Nick, I can mail those kips and your auto reel pronto, if you need better calf option, say the word

No big rush FRN. The ones I have are plenty and I have an older pack of 5 different colors and the red and white in there are great. The black one is the one that I could use a little longer hair on though. Fortunately I'm using it on as a tail I only need a short shot on and I'm all done with those anyway.