Fly Tying
Bob Sc

Saber hooks

Do any of you have any experience with Saber hooks? The 100 pack price looks pretty good. If you have used them, what are your thoughts on Saber?

Thanks in advance, keep tying and fishin.

Bob

Bob, Every year there is a flyfish show in Marboro MA, one of the reasons I go is to stock up up up on Saber hooks (and I'm not alone). 100 hook price is great and quality is good, most of my flies are tied on them and I have never lost a fish using them.

I bought a few 100 packs of these at the Denver Fly fishing show a couple years ago. Never again. They are made of lesser quality metal and straighten a lot easier. That's why they are so cheap for the 100 packs. I also found this out about the coneheads this year. Smaller size and not quite a cone shape. Pay cheap-get cheap.

I've been using a few different styles of Saber hooks for several years now. I find them to be better quality than Allen or GCO, but not as good as Daiichi or Tiemco. Also, I've never had a hook failure. For the money, I'm quite satisfied. I particularly like their standard dry fly hook.