Fly Tying

Gas station finger nail clippers will last over 20 years cutting mono and modifying flies on the stream and no you don't ever have to fold the lever down, think either $.39 or $.49 when new with a key chain

They won't last more than about one use cutting nails though.

Just as with anything in life the products we use are not just about getting the job done, they are about what makes us happy and what we each find enjoyable and comfortable. If all we did was use just what was required to get the job done then we'd all be living in huts and wearing burlap sacks wink.png

While I would never personally spend a bunch of money on nippers, I do have a pair of William Joseph nippers that I think I paid about $14 for about 10 years ago and really like them.

Why anyone would use anything other than a pair of nail clippers from Walgreen/Rite Aid etc is beyond me, your cutting mono not wire. Paying a big price to cut a piece of 5X tippet is the height of conspicuous consumption.

At the moment I can only think of 3 or 4 reasons: weight, rust, tough drilling a decent attachment hole, combinations with other streamside tools, slippery when wet, cutting stuff besides mono.... but whose countin

FInger nail clippers will certainly cut tippet as well as anything, but for me the lever is always either in the way or in the wrong position. I much prefer a nipper made for the purpose. There are lots of good ones that are not expensive.

You can just take the lever off and squeeze the two halves of the fingernail clippers together if you like. I usually just leave the lever but squeeze the two halves together.

I like the lever, takes much less effort to use, but all the regular nippers I've had were chrome and I don't ever recall one rusting, they all came with adequate holes for hanging too, so those remarks don't make sense to me.

By contrast the $6 black nippers with no lever and that little pin thingy that I bought at the fly fish store did rust some and the hole was so far from the end that the zinger always set side ways. Fact is the spare I bought at the same time developed slight rust with no use, but I never expected them to last forever. I would expect a $400.00 set of nippers to be somewhat disposable. All tools are.

At any rate every body has likes and dislikes, and fortunately there are companies making products that appeal to different and sometimes opposite tastes.

It would be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same things all the time.

Weight? Rust? Drilling holes? You must work for a "nipper company" when they rust you throw them away and spend another $1.49 Sheeesh

No need for condescension or sarcasm on a thread like this. Everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion without others putting them down. Yours is no more "correct" than any others.

I would expect a $400.00 set of nippers to be somewhat disposable. All tools are.

I would expect $400.00 nippers to be "BlueTooth" and cut the line just by my thinking about it. wink.png

Sorry if I offended JAlbert1.

No work for me, although my idea of conspicous consumption is two New Jags parked in a driveway, both exactly alike. Must see to believe it..... but I digress from OP's topic, akin to first step into a minefield....

#retired.but.not.tired.of.it✌️

Happy New Year!

Happy new year Ben bell, the more I think about that retractable ice fishing rod you made, the more I think I must have one. It has both a utilitarian and Pure mojo appeal to me! PM me if you make any more, please and thank you.