Fly Tying
Husky9000

Rain Jacket...light weight or insulated.

Last year I started fishing in June, and it was a dry year...this year I started in March...I need a rain jacket. I have looked at the Frogg Toggs non insulated packable jackets...I like the price, but there are sales and clearance prices on insulated jackets...what do you wear/carry for the wetter cooler weather?

Lightweight and packable like Fshflys said you can layer, even for winter steelhead cant take out the insulation in hot weather.

I sometimes carry a shell rain jacket, because I would rather add or take away layers to react to changing temps.

I second, and third and fourth (etc., etc., etc.) the comments above. Insulated ones go on sale because they're useless during warmer months.

Light weight ones are voluminous .... allowing for several layers underneath if cooler/colder weather sets in.

Packable is nice in a light shower, but for steady rain, you need a good quality breathable jacket. These cost a bit more, and they are a little bulky, but are worth it. I got mine from LL Bean, but there are several good brands out there.

I agree, though, that an insulated jacket is too condition specific, unless you are a fishing guide that spends all winter/spring on the water.

You mean people fish when it's raining? ohmy.png

No, no, absolutely not! Fish don't bite when it's raining. If it even looks like it might rain, you're better off doing something else. Don't even think about going fishing. It would be a total waste of your time....

If you are a big guy like me, frog toggs rip. Pick a size larger than you think you need.

Raingear runs the line from ultra-light packable (and you'll pay extra for top of the line packable raingear) all the way in the other direction to something heavy enough for the Bering Sea.... For someone like me, operating daily in south Florida out of a small skiff my choice for years has been un-lined basic commercial wear from Helly Hansen... If I lived up north and worked on the water I'd be wearing heavy, lined Grundens gear (or something similar...).

Yes, the Hellies aren't exactly lightweight but they wear like iron (my current set are nearing 30 years old and might just outlast me...). You buy them to fit loosely so in cold weather you can wear a sweat shirt or sweater underneath - in hot weather that loose fit keeps you a bit cooler...

Good quality raingear has one important function that most overlook.. that gear isn't just to keep you dry (and most fall a bit short in that department) it's real importance is it keeps you warm when outdoors and no where near shelter in bad weather. By the way, many years ago I spent the money for high end gore-tex gear... The stuff was just fine for occasional use - but use it day after day - and it pretty quickly lost any dry characteristics. Put simply it just didn't hold up well in continuous use, period....

Your thread got me thinking about all of the things I have purchased for and around fly fishing. Hands down, the most useful has been an oversize (to accomodate layers of clothing and my fly vest) breathable, lightweight rain jacket. When I am in any situation where I need to be outdoors in inclement weather, this is my go-to garment. If I recall correctly this jacket cost about half of a top quality fly rod. I have owned and loved it now for 25 years and as long as I don't lose or damage it, I can see it lasting for another 25 years easilly.