Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Trout spey rods in progress

This may help,,, when Ed does his sweep,, the rod is almost horizontal with slight upward path,,,, it moves into a upward motion at the end of the horiz sweep and the 45 degree thrust is performed at the top of the lift or Circle Up motion.

The 45 degree thrust is not a push and stop motion,,, it is done in a continuous motion while in the circle up.

Remember, stopping the rod unloads the rod or allows it to become straight,, all of that sweeping CMCL loading is lost and you then have a very short stroke to load (bend) the rod again.

Rather confusing at first but critical,,, the 45 degree thrust is one continuous motion built into the circle up. It directs the line out and away from the caster and prevents hooking behind the head.

When I was teaching, we had a large pool close to a bridge overpass,,, I would us my digital SLR to take videos of students from the over head position and show the casters what the rod motion really is doing. This was a great help in visualizing the simple but very unfamiliar rod sweeps and lifts which SH casters never are concerned with when casting.

This teaching tool was given to me by Ed Jaworowski,,, he makes a DVD of student casting and when they return in a few weeks/months the progress can be examined in detail.

I coached a student who was testing for the FFF Two Handed exam,, the DVD was very helpful for him to study and actually observe any problems.

You could set up a smart phone or DSL on a tripod and video yourself casting,,, much easier to study and apply basic principles.

When I started on the TH rod path,, luckily I had a fishing partner with more years of Spey casting experience and we would observe and coach each other.

Regards,

FK

FK ... do you have any of those "overhead" videos, still? It's exactly what a beginner needs and yet, it's not provided on any YouTube video I've seen.

It's also what Steve was asking for.

Mike,

I searched my files,,, no, gave them away on DVD to the students and deleted the originals.

I have retired from teaching, these old legs have a tough time running between students for 4-5 hours.

Gave the business to my two younger partners who have classes monthly, will try to meet up and make some videos this summer.

Regards,

FK

Steve, I use the running line portion of mill end (budget) fly lines for all my heads. Might lose some overall distance compared to the 'pros' but in real life fishing it works fine and costs a fraction of the cost of good running line. Make your own loops on the end with heat gun, shrink tube and then you can just pass the whole end through and change over easily on the bank.

For my floating scandi head I like to make a permanent splice with the running line. Much smoother and better for small low rivers in summer.

For the skagit casts with a skagit head remember to let that anchor sit on the water and speed is not your friend.

For scandi heads the line/tip only wants to kiss the water and then you launch it.