Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
spiralspey

tilt wing parachute

A little while back I saw a video of Kelly Galloup tying what he calls a tilt wing. It uses a wing post of deer hair tied in like the wing on an elk hair caddis and a few turns of hackle wrapped under the butt ends of the hair so the hackle won't slide up the post. That's not a problem I've ever had with parachutes, and I've caught many fish on them over the years. I liked the way the wing looked, though, leaning back more like a real mayfly wing, so I tied up a couple. They floated nice and fish liked them. Has anyone else tried parachutes tied with this style wing, and if so what do you think of them? I'm looking forward to tossing a few later this spring when the callibaetis start hatching on my local lakes. Here's one I tied up as a March brown imitation.

post-61269-0-20569100-1492296399_thumb.jpg

"I liked the way the wing looked, though, leaning back more like a real mayfly wing,"

Yes!

Very interesting; a new twist to an old wrinkle.

Never have tied up such a critter, but I shall.

Thanks for the cool pattern.

Ted Kraimer's came up with his Tilt-shoot a few years ago

IMG_7284_zps2170ae0c.jpg

a tilt-wing variation, with the deer hair body style common to the Michigan tying community; Kelly Galloup's part of that clan of talented tyers, as well. That style wing is also used on the Missing Link Caddis.

Regards,

Scott

Hi group,

We remember Ralph showing this style of tie about 20 years ago at a show in San Mateo, CA. It's not particularly hard to tie and so effective on the water. Take care & ...

I'm not surprised the technique isn't new, it's just too simple and straightforward. I've been fishing with that March brown variation for a couple weeks, it's been a very effective, and a very durable tie. It's not going to replace my poly yarn wing parachutes, especially for small dries that are just plain hard to see at any distance, but for matching bigger bugs it's becoming a new favorite pattern of mine.

I came up with a slant wing pattern for a crippled caddis (stuck in the shuck). Some of the streams I fish have prolific early season hatches of little black sedges. The trout can get quite selective when a heavy hatch is on and this pattern seems to fish quite well for me versus an emerger or an adult. The idea is to give them an easy target for a meal.

I wanted the fly to sit low on the water, so rather than modifying your typical elk hair adult pattern I went with a parachute. The slant post seemed a better match for the profile of a caddis wing which folds well back over the body of the fly. I even go so far as to bend the deer hair down and back a bit after I've wrapped the hackle, and will finish with a touch of zap-a-gap at the base of the post. I also add in some sparse antron to the pattern as a trailing shuck.

It fishes. Tandem with an emerger and you'll cover all your bases.