Fly Tying
waltersty

Trolling a Clouser for bass in a kayak

This is what I use. $20 for two at Bass Pro Shops and

I have ones very similar to those mounted on my boat, bought at West Marine, I never tried my fly rod in one though. I like to hold the fly rod so I can strip release to entice a strike ( usually salmon fishing doing this). I use the rod holders for conventional gear for trolling. I like it with Okuma level wind trolling reels because they cradle right in there nice.

I did away with all plastic rod holders cause the rod locking mechanisms, usually a plastic sliding thing, bind up and aggravate me. The best rod holders out there, in my humble opinion, are the down east rod holders. They are all metal and they have a quick release system where all you have to do is pick up your rod. No straps or levers or anything to manipulate, one hand operation and they hold tight until you grab the rod. Just grab your rod and pick it straight up and it comes out easily with no effort. I think they are a mechanical engineering marvel.

I have a watermaster raft and I will troll a clouser while I'm rowing out to where I want to fish. I just lay the rod beside me and I put the reel behind a strap so it will have something to stop it in case it gets jerked forward. I have caught small stripers this way. Haven't lost any gear so far this way, but I'm probably pressing my luck.

Bob

Here's a rod holder I made for my bike when I hit the beach or closed road areas. Notice the cutout on the back side. Works for both fly rods and spinners. It's attached via zip ties and easily mounted other places.

post-44758-0-86514500-1492547751_thumb.jpg

We use bikes along the canal road here and attach various things like baskets, racks , rod holders for transporting stuff over the 7mile access road ( one on each side of the canal). No motor vehicles allowed on those roads except the Army Corp of Engineers and they come by about once a day.