Fly Tying

Best fishing trip I've had in a long time. I caught 3 large browns, one of which was about 27". This was a really fun day. I was supposed to fish the Dolores River today, but the river was blown out and super chocolaty. So as I was driving home, I saw some small lakes along the river. They were old beaver dams that were converted into small lakes for the public to fish. They are stocked with rainbows, but have some large browns in them. I decided to streamer fish with my sage method and an intermediate sink tip line. I had to let the streamers sink for a long time though as the lakes are super deep and the larger trout were sitting on the bottom.

I was fishing two of my flies this time. A black monster bugger, and my jointed green dragon. Both preformed really well, and caught a bunch of fish. I caught 2 fish on the jointed green dragon, and 3 on the monster bugger. If you tie flies, you can find these videos here... Monster Bugger - https://youtu.be/cpRKubvkowY Jointed Green Dragon - https://youtu.be/j0aKieaEWhE Overall a very fun day.
Dolores is a small town in southern Colorado, and its really beautiful there. Beautiful mountains, small creeks, and a few lakes and ponds. An outdoor enthusiast's playground.

Thank you, now I just need to get one like that on the 3wt you sent me. Haha

I think you'd still be trying to land it! lol

Yeah it would be tough for sure. But that rod has a nice backbone, so I think it would be possible...

I might be inclined to move to 3x tippet or even try 2x and taper back towards 4x if needed, at least with those weighted streamers. You're not catching these in the surface film so the fish should tolerate the extra thickness. That's what I do here for the big winter browns fished with sinking line. It's when they get on top they get fussy. You're 4x seemed to do ok though but maybe there is a 30" brown in there LOL !! Hey ya never know.

I think you're getting your netting down.

Nice video but the cameras take all the next day stretch out of the fish! and you can forget about that "secret spot" now.

Good going.

Rocco

I might be inclined to move to 3x tippet or even try 2x and taper back towards 4x if needed, at least with those weighted streamers. You're not catching these in the surface film so the fish should tolerate the extra thickness. That's what I do here for the big winter browns fished with sinking line. It's when they get on top they get fussy. You're 4x seemed to do ok though but maybe there is a 30" brown in there LOL !! Hey ya never know.

I think you're getting your netting down.

What I didnt say on the video is that I was fishing 2x and 3x for a few hours with no luck. The only flouro I had with me was 4x, so I tried that and within like 2 casts I had that first big brown. So I bet if I get a 3x or 2x fluorocarbon tippet it probably would work. But I thought the same thing as you... I would rather had fished a larger tippet.

Nice video but the cameras take all the next day stretch out of the fish! and you can forget about that "secret spot" now.

Good going.

Rocco

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean by the cameras and stretching out the fish. Please explain.

Yeah, I wouldnt call it a "secret spot"... Its a public fishing place setup by the town of Dolores. So.... most people in the area know about it. But yeah, maybe more people will be there next time. Oh well.

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean by the cameras and stretching out the fish. Please explain.

I think what Dennis is saying is that fish always tend to grow from the time they were caught till the story of them is told the next day by the angler, hard to exaggerate the size when it's all caught on film ;) Although a 27" trout needs no exaggeration lol

I think what Dennis is saying is that fish always tend to grow from the time they were caught till the story of them is told the next day by the angler, hard to exaggerate the size when it's all caught on film wink.png Although a 27" trout needs no exaggeration lol

Oh ok, yeah.. HAHA I cannot come home and tell fish stories to my wife anymore after starting the video thing. She likes watching my videos and then is like, um... That fish was not as big as you said it was after watching my vids. HAHA