Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

Yes sir, snook it is.

I burned the midnight oil last night trying to bring home dinner. But the biggest I landed was a half inch from the slot. Good fun though, with plenty of acrobatics.

Couldn't get anything to take a fly today, and the wind was a little rough so broke out the spinning rods. We caught 14 nice bass, all about this same size.post-54336-0-92604800-1537677731_thumb.jpg

Couldn't get anything to take a fly today, and the wind was a little rough so broke out the spinning rods. We caught 14 nice bass, all about this same size.

Nice, sometimes that's just what you have do.

That's how today was. I went exploring a new place this morning that I never knew existed. I brought 2 fly rods and 2 baitcasters. It was all bank fishing as I was scouting an fwc management area where no combustion motors or trailers are allowed. I found this place thanks to Scott and Roland Martin on YouTube. Haha.. they thought it was a secret, and mentioned they had permission to fish this private water.. thanks go to Google maps, and the fwc website, I found out exactly where they were, and it is open to the public.

Wind was howling all morning at an awkward angle so the fly rod got minimal usage. But I will definitely be back with a little john boat with a trolling motor in the back of the truck. This place was all I had hoped for.

post-59266-0-92070200-1538937799_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-11691500-1538937828_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-88115600-1538937845_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-30757800-1538937913_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-23325800-1538937961_thumb.jpg

Nice find and nice fish Caloosa.

Got out again this afternoon/evening. My son was pretty bummed at first, I was up on him 15 fish to 2, including this nice 20" largemouth. That was until I got him hooked up with a catfish rig and he hung into his first monster cat. He was super happy, caught it on a lightweight rod, played it perfectly and I grabbed it just before it jerked its head and snapped the line. post-54336-0-86578600-1538960699_thumb.jpgpost-54336-0-27684600-1538960797_thumb.jpg

That looks like a nice walleye. I've never seen or eaten one..I hear they are good.

I took advantage of the full moon last night. It only took 3 casts to land this 29in keeper.

post-59266-0-50698200-1540386854_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-56830100-1540386871_thumb.jpg

Lure. A yo-zuri crystal minnow. The only live baiting I do is minnows for crappie and the occasional saltwater.

I like the crystal minnow. Used it a bit ... back when I was doing more conventional equipment fishing than I do these days.

Thank you.

Finally, with my week's vacation halfway over, I got to do some fishing today. It was probably August the last time I was out on Okeechobee and boy has it changed.

The main target was speckled perch, but I was really looking forward to throwing some new flies from the Christmas swap. Last night I thought I was going to be alone today, so I rigged 2 fly rods, 2 baitcasters, and about 6 ultra lights, and a couple cane poles. I was going to be ready for anything, and had a plan on where I wanted to go.

This morning I was picking up minnows at the marina and ran into a local guide I've known for a while. He gave me some confirmation I was going to the right area. Leaving there, my wife's step dad calls and asked what I was up to, knowing I planned on fishing and I ask him to tag along.

At the boat ramp a crisp, cool breeze was blowing, and I decided with all the gear I had , to leave the fly rods in the truck. We took off shivering in the 50 deg. haze uncertain if the lake was going to be too rough to access. It doesn't take much to churn up the waves on the big o. By the time we reached open water the fog was too thick to see anything, but the waves were manageable. I normally carry a GPS, but in my hurry this morning I forgot it. I don't really need it on the lake, but I like to mark spots and trails. Well we started catching specks immediately, and when the fog cleared,I wasn't where I thought I was.

Turned out to be a great day, and brought home 15 over 10 in. Hopefully I'll get back out before returning to work Tuesday, and toss some flies.

I have the same itch! I am a true nature lover. I love observing birds and animals and of course enjoy fishing, even purchased HD binoculars (https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-binocular). Taking pictures and video is quick and easy. When I return from a vacation and someone asks if I saw anything i can show them real pictures or real video footage. Thanx for nice memories!

With all the red tide in the coasts lately, it looks like our beloved snook have taken refuge in the river. My last two outings to the fresh side of the caloosahatchee have resulted in landing around 19 fish, ranging from 15in to this 32 1/2 inch. I've seen more juveniles this year than ever. The future looks good, (to me) for this fragile species.

A few more days left in the season before I switch gears to target specks (crappie). Hopefully, I can add another one to the freezer before Saturday.

post-59266-0-40156100-1543354172_thumb.jpg