Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

7 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

Heck of a morning on the Caloosahatchee. I see a snook on fly coming real soon. Got a few nice bass on fly though 

Both of these, along with several 14-19 in. bass, hit a Badonk-a-donk. 

Show me your Badonk-a-donk. Not sure if I've seen one. Mike, shame on you for thinking what you're thinking.😁

So the river has been crazy high and muddy and no luck with the fly rod, so I've been trying my hand at catfishing.

2020-04-17_17-59-55_149.jpg

Lol. Mark, here is a bunch of badonk-a-donks laid out on a table. They “walk-the-dog” on top. Like a Zara spook. 

peartree, I bet that cat put a good bend in the rod for you. Nice 

E71A8926-868C-4EA0-B0FE-1A10CD8D92EB.jpeg

This catfish was one of 5 big ones I've caught over the past 3 days, plus a few smaller channel cats.  It's funny, I ran into a couple of guys from fish and game who were tagging blue cats in the same area, and I beat there biggest catch by 10" .  

04B14348-EEAF-407E-A7F2-26C080BB15DA.jpeg

Chunky bluegill from our farm pond, on the UL Spinning rod Steve built me for my girlfriend. 

8 hours ago, Fisherboy0301 said:

04B14348-EEAF-407E-A7F2-26C080BB15DA.jpeg

Chunky bluegill from our farm pond, on the UL Spinning rod Steve built me for my girlfriend. 

Boy, you sure have small hands.😁

With all the tidal Delaware ramps closed I decided to grab a few surf poles to chase the tide and hit the bank with come cut bait. I went to a sketchy area close to philly and fished shoulder to shoulder with everybody else that can't get their boats out as well as those who don't own boats. Did not see one striper caught in four hours. Met some good people and had some good striper fishing conversation. Although no records were smashed it was a good day and I met some people I would have never met if we were not in some kind of fake lockdown where we are only barred from earning a living. 

I went out yesterday as I wanted to try my new smallmouth setup. Got an ARK Viper Medium-Light rod and a Daiwa Legalis 2500xd reel to go with it. Water still high and current fast so I was back in the same shallows I fished on Easter Sunday. Got a smallmouth fairly early on a black foxtail jig I tied which was really awesome. Got stuck often and lost some jigs and a tube. Switched over to the casting spoons again and then caught a perch. I would have taken a picture of the smallmouth but I did not want to muscle the fish up out of the water with the new rod so I went down the hill to get it, then coming back up I sunk into the mud then slipped into the river up to my shins. I let him go and dug my way back up the 5 foot slope. I did find a Callaway Diablo golf ball while stuck there which was in pretty good condition. Probably someone from the neighborhood behind hit it over the dike.  Perch came about  an hour later and nothing else for the rest of the afternoon. I did do a lot of walking and fished a ton of spots. I even found a great spot I can setup all my carp gear, too.

Here's the perch.

20200425_125057.thumb.jpg.9fc618d259dc7f8b6ae1e98e80aa0fd1.jpg

1 hour ago, Iroc_Jeff said:

I went out yesterday as I wanted to try my new smallmouth setup. Got an ARK Viper Medium-Light rod and a Daiwa Legalis 2500xd reel to go with it. Water still high and current fast so I was back in the same shallows I fished on Easter Sunday. Got a smallmouth fairly early on a black foxtail jig I tied which was really awesome. Got stuck often and lost some jigs and a tube. Switched over to the casting spoons again and then caught a perch. I would have taken a picture of the smallmouth but I did not want to muscle the fish up out of the water with the new rod so I went down the hill to get it, then coming back up I sunk into the mud then slipped into the river up to my shins. I let him go and dug my way back up the 5 foot slope. I did find a Callaway Diablo golf ball while stuck there which was in pretty good condition. Probably someone from the neighborhood behind hit it over the dike.  Perch came about  an hour later and nothing else for the rest of the afternoon. I did do a lot of walking and fished a ton of spots. I even found a great spot I can setup all my carp gear, too.

Here's the perch.

20200425_125057.thumb.jpg.9fc618d259dc7f8b6ae1e98e80aa0fd1.jpg

Great fish, and good efforts for getting out there...👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

That's a big Perch!  Pretty colors, too.

33 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Great fish, and good efforts for getting out there...👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

Thanks guys!

I was shocked as I thought this was a smallmouth. Once he got closer in and I saw the yellow I couldn't believe it was a perch as I never caught one there before. Can't wait til water and current get back to normal so I can post fly caught fish too. Not enough room to even cast a spinning rod sometimes. 

I hit the river early this morning with the plan to try and land my first snook on fly. Then I was going to get a mess of bluegill for my parents.

After a hour of casting poppers down a stretch of shoreline that has been holding snook, it happened. A wake behind my deer hair popper, then a couple swirls, and a couple short pops, and bam. I got a good strip set. Then the fish went airborne.  A nice 30 in snook. I let him run while keeping the line tight and was able to get him on the reel.  He headed for open water instead of the bushes and by now I was certain that it was finally going to happen.  He pulled, I pulled, we went back and forth until he was nearly tired out. Just as I was slowly lifting him up ready to net with my left , he made another run.  My line snapped mid leader.  Maybe it was from a tree limb I caught earlier and never retied.. 😩. Well, that was the only real hit I had.

9:00 am came around and I went looking for some big gills. I had crickets and a couple fly rods working several spots and couldn’t catch a single bluegill. That’s right not even 1 little one. Saw quite a few manatees today, and a few turkeys also.
By 11:00 I was hot and frustrated so I called the wife to bring the kids down to a dock near our house so that I could take them for a ride. 

We rode a few miles and I happened to see something that I haven’t seen in a while. A giant school of jack crevalle in a feeding frenzy. I idled within casting distance and heaved a plug at the school. Crash, boom, bang, I missed em. Now they are 40 yards ahead of us. The kids are like up there , up there.  I catch up again and another miss. We play catch up a third time. This time they are close and as I cast they are destroying a bait ball. Half coming out of the water. This time we hook up and everyone got a turn reeling as I held the rod.  The wife was able to drive and take a couple pics of us when we were releasing the jack. I let him go and we cruised for a little watching nature before loading up. 

Disappointed in losing the snook and not catching gills, but the noon adventure with the kids made me forget real quick.

5B0A817F-E614-454F-B4D8-8F353425E168.jpeg

E85E9A0A-2B9E-4B3D-90BA-B9D79191F2AD.jpeg

53AF60E6-5785-4875-A710-CA835A8072EB.jpeg

C4718255-2E8A-4C74-B9BE-4A169FF4160D.jpeg

4F3A3511-1BF6-4BD1-9630-22BE3A6A0173.jpeg

77CB8DEC-87B1-4204-88AC-63BBE301F68A.jpeg

E47634AE-02EC-4802-88A5-0552A10239AC.jpeg