Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

Maybe you didn't land it, but you've hooked and fought to hand a Snook.  The first one's always the "ice breaker" ... now you'll get the next one.

People say "sunfish are so easy to catch" ... but they can be every bit as hard to fool as any other fish.  Especially the nice, keeper sized ones.  I've pulled a fly that's usually a killer, right through a school, and had every one of those fish ignore it.

As the adage goes, "That's why we call it fishing, not catching."

So my buddy Zip calls and says he’s driving down from Ga. and wants to take me fishing with his boat on the northern Okeechobee rim canals. .I say, heck ya. So I take a day off from work to avoid interfering with weekend plans.

Let me say, capt zip did a heck of a job putting me and his dad on some fish. What a great day on the water with some wonderful people. They even provided lunch and a fresh fish dinner. 

It don’t get much better than that.

3A74ACE8-AA43-480F-BD0E-98F0BD7785C3.jpeg

68EB0704-5DA6-4F88-B72C-277E2B81B665.jpeg

114769A1-888C-4647-94E7-681229BCD5FE.jpeg

Very nice!   I love a day full of fish, like that. 

I just don't seem to be finding them these days.

Took the boat out early in hopes of a snook on fly. No luck, then bluegill fished for a bit with one eye on the weather. Caught some small ones, small bass, several cichlids, and a little soft shell turtle.  Got the boat loaded up just in time to avoid a downpour with an empty live well. 

During the mile and a half ride home, the rain had passed. Typical Florida weather.  Having plenty of crickets, I decided to bank fish for a bit under a cypress tree on the river bank at the end of my street. It paid off. Ended up bringing home 14 slabs, with one that may be the biggest bluegill I’ve ever seen. 

C8DB1896-D8CF-48B4-BD4B-95DCD375DD6B.jpeg

A396DE4D-7A20-4176-B80B-3A1855AB94B2.jpeg

B5E7DACC-827D-4E75-877F-14C04987108A.jpeg

AAF95EEE-3E13-4B7C-9BC6-A2A41C705BAA.jpeg

9DE85587-387F-44A8-BEE6-D1A35565162D.jpeg

02AB741E-B055-4EB6-BCE4-1AEAB654DFDE.jpeg

22 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I really do wish we had those common carp down here.

Apalachicola River has them. Believe me, I have a nice Euro Carp setup and had to drive 3.5 hours to fish when I lived in Florida. Ugh. Grass carp are more common but a bit harder to catch.   

12 hours ago, Iroc_Jeff said:

Apalachicola River

It'd be easier for  me to fly back to Indiana than to drive to that river.   If I had any other reason to return to Logansport, I'd readily jump in the Wabash to go after some of those bruisers in there.

12 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

That is a BIG ol carp there. Good fighters when they are that size.

That one was 25 lb., my PB (personal best) and not the biggest around here. State record on tackle is 53 lb. and was caught in a state lake of 65 acres! Had one on the fly a while back. Got off at the net. Check out http://www.carpanglersgroup.com for a lot of info on carp fishing. More people worldwide fish for carp than any other species. Tight lines and screaming drags.

Nice carp! I’ve never hooked one on a rod and reel. I actually haven’t seen any in my home waters in a long time. 20 some years ago we would see them near the bank in the rocks, with tails sticking up out of the water. 
 A buddy of mine made a homemade bow with a big zebco mounted to it. He shot one and landed it after a long battle. It was probably 20-25lbs.  A crowd of other kids had gathered to watch. One of them said he wanted to take it home to his mom, it was the biggest fish he had ever seen. We had a good laugh as he peddled away on his bike, struggling to steer with a carp half in his lap and half across the handlebars. We tried to tell him they weren’t edible, but he insisted. 

Carp are edible.  Prepared properly, they actually have a rich, buttery taste that isn't "muddy" at all.