Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

Carp are edible.  Prepared properly, they actually have a rich, buttery taste that isn't "muddy" at all.

I think that depends more on where they are caught than how they are cooked.

Didn’t know that Mike. But, I suppose most any fish can be eaten somehow. Location would certainly affect flavors also.  Grilled gar comes to mind as it was pretty good. Smoked mullet can be excellent also. I’ve read a while back about plecos. Plecostomus—aka sucker fish—like out of a fish tank—can be good when cooked in the “shell”. Heck, those things are everywhere.  BUT. I still have some  crappie from winter and snook from spring, so I’m good. 🕺🏻

Here’s a pic I shared on another thread. My pb mudfish. Won a $100 for it during a bass tournament.💁‍♂️😆

38A78A83-9257-44F0-85FD-BC2AF4913851.jpeg

I took a picture. I think it's the first picture I've taken of a fish in over a decade. Went out after dinner for a couple hours of carp fishing from the bank. My buddy fell in which was hilarious and we managed to catch three little ones like the one pictured and had a couple Line rippers that got into the junk and evaded capture. All in all a great few hours even though the humidity was high enough to make me sweat just standing there. 

carp.jpg

4 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I took a picture. I think it's the first picture I've taken of a fish in over a decade. Went out after dinner for a couple hours of carp fishing from the bank. My buddy fell in which was hilarious and we managed to catch three little ones like the one pictured and had a couple Line rippers that got into the junk and evaded capture. All in all a great few hours even though the humidity was high enough to make me sweat just standing there. 

Nice, were they fly-caught? Are they headed for the smoker?

Caught on corn. Can't fly fish this spot from the bank since there is only a small opening in the brush and foliage and it's a good clip to access the creek in any direction. I would need a kayak to get there. I don't eat carp either. I did take a picture though. 

😵Poopdeck!  My eyes!  You took a picture!  And it's a pretty good picture, too!

Are you okay?

Except for that ugly head, Carp are cool looking fish, with those large, well defined scales.  Put up a good fight, too.

I always carry a small 5’ Ultralight with 4lbs test line just in case the fly fishing falls apart.  On this day in late May in Yelllowstone on the Gibbon (Gibbon Meadows) the wind was howling so bad in the open meadow that casting a fly (big streamer) was treacherous.  This 20”+ Brown rewarded my decision to try the ultralight.

B6E421B4-C377-4A3E-8F4B-EB33BDA2AFB0.jpeg

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

😵Poopdeck!  My eyes!  You took a picture!  And it's a pretty good picture, too!

Are you okay?

Except for that ugly head, Carp are cool looking fish, with those large, well defined scales.  Put up a good fight, too.

If this heat persists through August I will be bank carp fishing after dinner till fall and your right the fight is actually pretty fierce. One looked to be in the 10lb range and I couldn't get him to do anything I wanted him to do. Next time I think I'll take one of my striper rods so I'll have a fighting chance. I'm not even sure an 8 wt will get a big one in. I might have to invest in a 10.

9 minutes ago, mikemac1 said:

I always carry a small 5’ Ultralight with 4lbs test line just in case the fly fishing falls apart.  On this day in late May in Yelllowstone on the Gibbon (Gibbon Meadows) the wind was howling so bad in the open meadow that casting a fly (big streamer) was treacherous.  This 20”+ Brown rewarded my decision to try the ultralight.

B6E421B4-C377-4A3E-8F4B-EB33BDA2AFB0.jpeg

Variety is the spice of life. Nice fish!

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

All in all a great few hours

That’s what it’s all about!  Thanks for sharing 

8 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Caught on corn. Can't fly fish this spot from the bank since there is only a small opening in the brush and foliage and it's a good clip to access the creek in any direction. I would need a kayak to get there. I don't eat carp either. I did take a picture though. 

Oh yeah, I forgot this was the "No Fly" zone

Carp are a lot of fun. I haven't caught one since I was a teenager. We used to go carp fishing and crabbing together in the Elisabeth River in Virginia beach. It was a good time.

Thanks for the picture.

Nice trout Mike.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, mikemac1 said:

This 20”+ Brown rewarded my decision to try the ultralight.

Beautiful brown! 

Hurricane Isaias thankfully was just a breezy, scattered rain type of event. I went out bank fishing for a couple hours. Tossed the fly some, then went to the old faithful Texas rigged, june bug colored worm. I was rewarded with a nice 3 1/2 to 4 lb bass.

13943190-4089-4356-9A9D-301DC57787B6.jpeg