Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

Clear, shallow water ... usually the reason I see light colors on fish, including bowfin.  We get the dark ones, too, in deeper or coffee colored water.

Those are some nice sized Bowfin.  Good eatin' sized Sunshines, Caloosa.

Ones here are still dark even in clear water though which is odd. The Au Sable has had a big influx of zebra mussles the past 2 decades so the water is so clear you can see the bottom even in 8ft of water. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of the ones here, its crazy how dark they are. Been years since I have caught one though so not sure if I have a pic anymore. If I do it's a Polaroid or 110 film pic lol

Got this snook off a docklight casting from the sidewalk with my brother in law, second cast with one of my hand tied jigs, only fish I caught other than 1 catfish.

30459.jpeg

14 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

That's a really light color bowfin. The ones I have caught here are usually so dark brown they look almost black.

Everything I've pulled out of the canal these came out of, sunfish, bass, catfish and bowfin have all been really light in color.  Funny, the water is almost always dark and muddy.  

1 hour ago, vicente said:

Got this snook off a docklight casting from the sidewalk with my brother in law, second cast with one of my hand tied jigs, only fish I caught other than 1 catfish.

Heck ya!  Dock lights can be a blast. 

since everyone is going on about carp---  here's one that smashed a jerkbait in 50 degree water a couple years ago-  had no idea for a while what I had on, light spinning rod, 6lb line, you just never know. 

328366409664568686477312_o.jpg

1 hour ago, JSzymczyk said:

since everyone is going on about carp---  here's one that smashed a jerkbait in 50 degree water a couple years ago-  had no idea for a while what I had on, light spinning rod, 6lb line, you just never know. 

328366409664568686477312_o.jpg

And you caught it in the ocean? 😁 He's a chunker for sure.

7 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

And you caught it in the ocean? 😁 He's a chunker for sure.

Lake Erie.  Better than any ocean I've ever been on, and more temperamental.     I've tried to get back up there  in spring and fall for the last several years and often get zero fishing in because of the weather witches.     Grew up fishing it in a small boat with my Dad.   It gets in your blood.    Here's another memorable day, the only Laker I've caught from my kayak-

449643484734732288_n.jpg

any day I can get out on the big water in my kayak, away from everyone,  sometimes MILES away from anyone, and catch steelhead like this-   out where they can fight and run like crazy, is a blessing.   Hopefully in about a month will get the chance again for the first time in a couple years.   I am tying some trolling streamers and want to get one on my fly rod out there, but most of the time a fly rod isn't the option that makes the most sense.  

44969640_793316947915264_n.jpg

Lake Erie.  Better than any ocean I've ever been on, and more temperamental.     I've tried to get back up there  in spring and fall for the last several years and often get zero fishing in because of the weather witches.     Grew up fishing it in a small boat with my Dad.   It gets in your blood.    Here's another memorable day, the only Laker I've caught from my kayak-

any day I can get out on the big water in my kayak, away from everyone,  sometimes MILES away from anyone, and catch steelhead like this-   out where they can fight and run like crazy, is a blessing.   Hopefully in about a month will get the chance again for the first time in a couple years.   I am tying some trolling streamers and want to get one on my fly rod out there, but most of the time a fly rod isn't the option that makes the most sense.  

Saweeeet. Great job. Be careful out there. Both very nice fish.

Those are some great pictures, Joel.  But, holy cow, you look bundled up for cold weather!  No way I'd be on the water when it's that cold out.

Yes, I am a wuss when it comes to cold temperatures.  Neared hypothermia a couple of times while in the military ... just don't want to deal with it anymore.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

Those are some great pictures, Joel.  But, holy cow, you look bundled up for cold weather!  No way I'd be on the water when it's that cold out.

Yes, I am a wuss when it comes to cold temperatures.  Neared hypothermia a couple of times while in the military ... just don't want to deal with it anymore.

yep cold, far below the 120 rule, but dressed for a swim and only in  calm seas.    I'm not going out if there is much risk with wind and waves.    It would be really embarrassing for a retired Coastie to die out in the water because he was stupid.  

3 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

It would be really embarrassing for a retired Coastie to die out in the water because he was stupid.  

😄That's the truth !!!

Wish i had the camera rolling when this one hit. Half of his body breached like a whale when he hit my prop plug. A good fight ensued with a couple of acrobatic flips boat side. Finally got a keeper.

There’s  nothing like catching these on a 6’6” bass rod with 15# mono and a topwater plug.

BEB9EDBA-3666-42FB-B813-653E03B0F0B6.jpeg