Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

14 minutes ago, caloosa bug said:

A Jaguar cichlid. 

Interesting, looks a little like a Crappie.  Did you keep and eat it?

not this time. They say they are very good eating. I’ll be hitting the same area soon with a fly rod looking for some to eat.

I can tell you from first hand experience that Jaguar Guapotes are indeed tasty! Nice one.  BTW for those interested yes they will readily take flies.

Caloosa, how are the water levels south of the Lake?  Once they get low enough the fishing will just go insane and I'm starting to get twitchy!

Swamp

I’m not too sure what they are south of us. Been fishing Okeechobee and the river the last few weeks. This was caught in the river. You’re going to have to show me how to do it down south.

Twist my arm..ouch, ouch! LOL!   Done!  I need to start looking at the water height stations and then we'll hit it.

That one came out of the river?  I had no idea they were in there.   I know the Myans are in there, I can even catch those in my cow pasture during rainy season.  Not sure if the Oscars are in the river, I'm not sure but I think the Mayans are a little more cold hardy.

Are the specks still in the grass or are they done?

Swamp

Swamp, a few specks are still biting In the grass, but have pretty much moved on. The bluegills are moving in. 
My parents have been itching for some bluegill, so this morning me, dad, and my 2nd born took the fly rods and crickets to see what we could do.  The fly rod didn’t see much action. Tending to the youngun was more important. He had a blast and as usual he caught the most and biggest bluegill.

We fished a half day and brought home 19 gills, a few mayans, and the first tilapia I’ve caught on a hook. The little zebco 202 was screaming.. 

FFD9CED6-3D64-4A19-A0C0-FBE1DD1740E1.jpeg

CF2DD651-B301-4A7D-B681-C4C1B0FE3734.jpeg

8ED0C224-B0AE-45D5-AF21-BCCD8FD37ACA.jpeg

251CE1C9-0DCC-48C7-8685-377AF640F8D5.jpeg

E8E9C888-6B8A-4603-89BD-BDD1792B5541.jpeg

I figured they were about done.  Missed them again.

Proud young angler there and he should be.  Nice mess o' big breem.  Those Myans are all full grown too.  I've been tearing the tilapia up on small black buggers or road runners with soft plastic shad/minnow bodies when the wind is up.  They can be a hoot on light gear.

At least the ramps seem to still be open in your neck of the woods.  I hear most of them are shut down over here on the coast.  I hope the Glads are not shut down, it's about time to go poke around.

Swamp

Finally broke out the rods and got my first shad trip in.  Not a great day but a decent day going 18 for 19. About a dozen or so boats out when normally you could easily double or triple that number on a beautiful Sunday when the shad are up. I don't take pictures of fish but I do take pictures of bent hooks.

bent.jpg

6 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Finally broke out the rods and got my first shad trip in.  Not a great day but a decent day going 18 for 19. About a dozen or so boats out when normally you could easily double or triple that number on a beautiful Sunday when the shad are up. I don't take pictures of fish but I do take pictures of bent hooks.

You need to put that in the bent hooks thread. 😋 This thread is for fish pictures.😋😄

I got out Sunday for the first time. The river is really moving fast and water is up so its not great fishing. After getting skunked at a park i drove to my favorite spot which is along a dike, well, that's all underwater. So, I walked further down river and found an island that formed a small backwater and gave that a go. Turned out well but hard to cast being overgrown with trees and really muddy. Got this smallmouth on a 3/16oz casting spoon, blue sparkle.

Got skunked on the fly rod all day. 

20200412_125547.jpg

What river might you be fishing on? That fish looks like it has a giant sore down by its tail. 

1 minute ago, Poopdeck said:

What river might you be fishing on?

oh what timing i have.. lol

Susquehanna, around Wilkes Barre area

Heck of a morning on the Caloosahatchee. I see a snook on fly coming real soon. Got a few nice bass on fly though 

Both of these, along with several 14-19 in. bass, hit a Badonk-a-donk. 

9DD81FA1-F4CC-4169-957C-9611038640D6.jpeg

597CFC8C-CFF3-46C2-A9FA-0CD6A03F3C87.jpeg

51BC8DD3-8C0B-4955-84A8-C3D0F3FC328F.jpeg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.