Fly Tying
Idaho RC

Renzetti Master Vise Rotary Parachute Attachment?

I shortened the spring a bit and lowed the rod and without cutting the bottom of the rod it will rotate and clear the bobbin holder. When it is lowered to clear the bobbin holder there isn't a lot of room around the fly and it makes it a little more difficult wrap thread around the fly. It can be done it just not as convenient. I think I will end up removing the rod and then putting it back in when I need it. I have only tied two hackle stackers so more time using it I will figure out what works best. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Or, you could just learn to tie hackle stackers without a gallows tool, the way Bob Quigley use to do it. As you learned, the gallows tool tends to get in the way. Look for Bob's DVD on tying signature flies (I think some are on youtube.com) for an example.

If I were doing it, which I almost certainly won't, I'd either wind the ribbing without the gallows and if I wanted to do the post, I'd either use my Renzetti non-rotating tool and finish it off. Plenty of room there. While it was explained to me clearly, subsequent thinking on the subject leaves me still confused. Sorry but I don't see an advantage. Seems clumsy to me. Maybe why Renzetti dropped it 20 years ago.

If I were doing it, which I almost certainly won't, I'd either wind the ribbing without the gallows and if I wanted to do the post, I'd either use my Renzetti non-rotating tool and finish it off. Plenty of room there. While it was explained to me clearly, subsequent thinking on the subject leaves me still confused. Sorry but I don't see an advantage. Seems clumsy to me. Maybe why Renzetti dropped it 20 years ago.

Not sure what you're arguing against. What you've described i.e. "I'd either wind the ribbing without the gallows and if I wanted to do the post, I'd either use my Renzetti non-rotating tool and finish it off," is exactly what I've described several times as being the simplest approach. All I was trying to tell Idaho was that if he really wanted both a gallows and full rotary function at the same time, is that it could be accomplished.

Both Idaho and I (and presumably many others) have made nice brass gallows attachments for a couple of bucks worth of brass rod versus spending $60 or whatever Renzetti charged. I'm thinking Renzetti probably figured out nobody was going to pay big bucks for something so simple and of rather limited use, and that's why they dropped it.

Not arguing. Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm trying to learn. What I think happens is the gallows tool pictured rotates for winding hackle, but without the post attached...right? When the wrapping is done, then the post is hooked onto the clip and the fly is hackled and finished. The post and hackle doesn't rotate, right?

I had ideas of the entire fly rotating, post, hackle, and all. Which I'm sure is not the case. I can see how the rotating gallows would save some time.

Sorry about my inexperience with stacked hackle flies.

renzetti still offers their parachute tool

https://www.renzetti.com/index.php/accessories/vise-attachments/parachute-attachment-detail

find an old 720 vise

flywheel_720.jpg

i'm not following how youre wrapping a hackle horizontally while rotating the vise???

from what i see, the "gallows tool" is merely a device for holding the parachute post material in a vertical position while the hackle is manually wrapped horizontally (post material includes mono or thread for a hackle stacker style fly)

hackle stacker

https://www.renzetti...tachment-detail

They still make that type. They discontinued the rotary parachute attachment. That was the point of this thread. I called them and that was what they told me. That's why I started the thread asking if anyone had one of the old style. I believe the rotary type was likely similar to what I ended up making.

If the video was for my benefit it wasn't necessary. I haven't tied a lot of hackle stackers but I have tied a few and prefer tippet over thread for the post. I wanted to try a gallows tool to hold up the post, rather trying to fumble with having three hands.

https://www.renzetti...tachment-detail

If the video was for my benefit it wasn't necessary.

maybe not but it just may benefit lesser experienced tyers or even experinced tyers that may want to learn a new tchnique

First time posting-

I don't know if this is helpful in stirring up some creative juices but the JVice gallows tool might give you some ideas in coming up with a rotary gallows tool.

I got a JVice about two years ago and when tying parachutes and paraloops the gallows arm is very helpful.

Look up JVice fly tying and go to accessories

(I have no idea how to post pics - i am at the bench more than the computer)

I tied with a Renzetti Traveler i bought almost thirty years ago, replaced the jaws with the cam version about 10 years ago and finally bought a new vice 2 years ago,

The J was a great purchase for me.

I fashioned a gallows tool for the Traveler with a small clamp and steel control rod from an R/C hobby shop formed to the arc, It connected to the Travelers arm in about the same location as your arrow points to. It took some tweeking but once in place it worked as well as the J's gallows tool.

The Traveler arm has a much smaller diameter than the Master but very doable I think.

You might also check Wasatch Fly Tying out of Oregon as he sells Jvice and accessories on his website. The gallows tool is bent in such a way it might make mounting to the arm much easier and sturdy.

I hope this was helpful.

Enjoy that beautiful vise and catching fish on the fly!

Regards,

Charlie in Colorado

I looked up the J Vice. That's a nice vice you have. Their Gallows Attachment is very similar to what I have done with my vice. It is nearly identical to what I have been working on. It's really the same set up. I am sure after I use mine for a while and figure out what works for me I will make some changes.

Do you tie with the gallows attachment on your vice? Do you leave the gallows attached and use the rotary function of the vice to tie the back of the fly? Or do you just put the gallows on the vice when you need to use it?

Thanks for the link. If J Vice is marketing their rotary gallows tool I wonder why Renzetti abandoned theirs? I suppose that answer is obvious, it must not have sold. I wonder why? Does it work for you?

I've always wondered why Renzetti abandoned their gallows attachment but left the holes in the Master to use one. But I use the bobbin holder as I described and with a little adjustment I can still use the full rotary function, not that I find any real need to do so. I use a little "S" hook on the end of the spring to tie hackle stacker style flies. All others I can get around not using a gallows note: hackle stackers use thread as a "post" and although they can be tied without a gallows attachment it's a lot easier with. With the average parachute style fly I find a stiff post that doesn't need the attachment.

Ps anyone got a piece of water vole skin they are willing to part with?

I looked up the J Vice. That's a nice vice you have. Their Gallows Attachment is very similar to what I have done with my vice. It is nearly identical to what I have been working on. It's really the same set up. I am sure after I use mine for a while and figure out what works for me I will make some changes.

Do you tie with the gallows attachment on your vice? Do you leave the gallows attached and use the rotary function of the vice to tie the back of the fly? Or do you just put the gallows on the vice when you need to use it?

Thanks for the link. If J Vice is marketing their rotary gallows tool I wonder why Renzetti abandoned theirs? I suppose that answer is obvious, it must not have sold. I wonder why? Does it work for you?

Good morning Idaho,

Yes sir, I do use it often.

The attachment is easy - loosen the brass knurled screw on top the j-arm and place the U end of the gallows arm under the head of the screw and tighten.

Literally takes 10 seconds. It has enough 'spring' in the arm that it keeps perfect tension. I use the TyFlyz Toolz hackle tweezer with the gallows, the loop of the tweezer is the right size, easy to manipulate and I can slide it back towards the anchor point when adding dubbing in front of the post and/or finishing the fly.

The entire set up is a very thoughtful easy design that works very well for me. The amount of room available behind the hook for my hand makes manipulating materials easy.

If you would like email me and I can forward some pictures to

Regards,

Charlie

I didn't answer you question - (after seeing the picture you posted earlier in the thread I can see what you are referring to.)

Yes, I can leave it on the vice when tying other patterns and because of its shape and design the vice rotates without issue.

It can be taken on and off so quickly that it is really just like grabbing another tool.

Charlie

I use an auxiliary rod to mount my parachute tool.
The C-Clamp from Peak Vise has an extra mounting hole

which also lets you mount a lamp. I have ghosted back the
rod that holds the vise so that you can see the extra rod.
The pedestal base from Peak also has an extra mounting hole
for an accessory shaft.

18121231_1550476174963685_37269583317906

Kimo

I think the current non-rotary gallows tool works at least as well as the through tool, but then I don't know for sure. Those examples given above seem to work just fine, although so does the non-rotary tool...I think. Gives more working room for tying.

Here is my old Renzetti Master serial no. 305 with attachment no. X8008.

Found it in a box of accessories.

Regards,

FK

post-179-0-69576200-1493338750_thumb.jpg

post-179-0-00208700-1493338860_thumb.jpg

post-179-0-10918800-1493338933_thumb.jpg