Fly Tying
stabgnid

Need some input ......

Looking to buy something other than Partridge for soft hackles ?? I tie mostly #12,#14,#16 #18s ..

Steve-stabgnid

blue%20spider_zpsow7gk6j4.jpg

Hen, quail, grouse (sharptail doesn't have too many smaller feathers but it'll work for #12's), starling; lots of options. There are ways to use oversize feathers, too.

Regards,

Scott

I use grizzly hen cape feathers - I tie in sizes 12 to 18 and find I can often squeeze multiple flies from a single feather! A good hen cape goes for 25 to 30 dollars, but you will be able to tie hundreds of wet flies form a single cape. I also put the larger feathers to use either on wooly buggers or down-wings tied as a wonder wing.

Hen, quail, grouse (sharptail doesn't have too many smaller feathers but it'll work for #12's), starling; lots of options. There are ways to use oversize feathers, too.

Regards,

Scott

Scott I used the partridge that you gave me in the picture !! I can not thank you a enough !!

Scott I used the partridge that you gave me in the picture !! I can not thank you a enough !!

Steve,

You did, by posting that pic; nicely done.

Regards,

Scott

A pheasant skin has a remarkably wide range of color and size feathers. They have an iridescent green feather that i use a lot for sparse wets.

I know some think this is heresy my hen feathers are top quality and I tie them in by the tip, then tear the feathers furthest from me off the stem. There are just the right amount on the one side to wrap a great soft hackle and with feathers on one side it just wraps neater and cleaner. I have a couple of starling skins but have a hard time with them. Feathers are just too small and have a tendency to break while wrapping. I do use them sparingly and carefully on small ties in the 18 or 20 area. Otherwise it's partridge or hen most of the time.

This is a soft hackle tied for a women's breast cancer recovery group with silver tinsel, pink floss, pink ostrich plume, white hen with half torn off. Looks plenty full to me and the fish. This fly is on a #14 hook but it inspired some coastal people to tie it on #8 and 6 hooks and proved good for sea run trout coming in the river.

DSC01587_zpstnx2s5td.jpg

I know some think this is heresy my hen feathers are top quality and I tie them in by the tip, then tear the feathers furthest from me off the stem. There are just the right amount on the one side to wrap a great soft hackle and with feathers on one side it just wraps neater and cleaner. I have a couple of starling skins but have a hard time with them. Feathers are just too small and have a tendency to break while wrapping. I do use them sparingly and carefully on small ties in the 18 or 20 area. Otherwise it's partridge or hen most of the time.

This is a soft hackle tied for a women's breast cancer recovery group with silver tinsel, pink floss, pink ostrich plume, white hen with half torn off. Looks plenty full to me and the fish. This fly is on a #14 hook but it inspired some coastal people to tie it on #8 and 6 hooks and proved good for sea run trout coming in the river.

DSC01587_zpstnx2s5td.jpg

Beautiful soft hackle, vic, about how many turns of hen did it take?

Buy a Hungarian partridge skin. Lots of other things things can be substituted, but nothing really looks as good. A $15 skin will give you a lifetime of good soft hackle tying feathers.

By the way stab, every time I see your username for some reason my mind sees dagnabit, and I chuckle. Lol. Funny how the mind works. :D

By the way stab, every time I see your username for some reason my mind sees dagnabit, and I chuckle. Lol. Funny how the mind works. biggrin.png

That's a new one but here's what it says stabgnid is Dingbats spelled backwards

Steve-stabgnid