Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Fly caught salty fish pictures

Well the dink gator wananabee trout are still around. Kept hoping something bigger might be around to feed on them. Not.

However after finally getting a bunch of rain the ditches and marsh canals have some decent water in them and the juvi tarpon are here. Saw one roll right in front of me 18 feet away that rolled my eyes...looked to be 30-40lbs ( not a juvi ! ). Jumped several smallies and finally got one.

post-44758-0-47108100-1497230848_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-24212900-1497230877_thumb.jpg

Very cool. Those little tarpon can be fun on conventional bass tackle. I can only imagine a fly.

Ditch tarpon is heating up and I'm getting a bigger fish each time out. This one is about 25" and six pounds or so but I've seen some that had to scale 40lbs.

Just can't seem to get the big girls to eat though. I'm sure if I decided to take a 5wt one would most likely slam it.

post-44758-0-40166800-1497449511_thumb.jpg

Wow! You're up between Daytona Beach and Cape Canaveral, right? I might have to drive over there and give those fish a try.

Mike, I'm actually south of 528 in Merritt Island and these areas are both north and south of me with the most accessible areas being just north of the Bee Line.

Monday they were hitting crazy at my first stop about 7:00 pm but only hooked one about 18". Thought the other spots would be the same....not.???

Today I hit it early 6:30 am but the hits were slow in spite of seeing a lot of them rolling. Jumped only one before getting the photo fish a coouple miles north. Oh well, beats a sharp stick in the eye any day.

Yeah ... thanks for the info. If I can get past the fresh water "Magnets" between here and there, you might see me out there within the next few weeks.

I actually don't think there is much salt in the water in these ditches etc. since there are quite a few gar in them along with tilapia.

So you shouldn't feel to out of place Mike.

Yeah, a while back I was posting photos of fat flats trout and reds and he said he was almost...almost tempted to come wade the salt flats with me but...well, you know...

Mike, if you had been with me yesterday morning you would have seen me catch two tiny tarpon about 8" long. However after that I hit another stretch of ditches and hooked one that bent my rod double before become airborne about 25 feet from me. It blew my mind it was so big for such a small ditch. I'm guessing it was every bit of 42 inches plus. But my little number 6 mosquito hook was not up to the task and immediately released it.

So while we have some babies for you to play with there is always the chance momma wants to play as well.

I'll be tying some new flies today on some #4 Owner Flyliner hooks. Also super sharp points but much stronger wire.

County mowed the road side yesterday and why this one is all grassy looking. Come on guys, I know I'm not the only person catching fish in the salt or brackish water. Lets some of yours...you too flats, since schools out you gotta be bowing up.

post-44758-0-66049800-1498164900_thumb.jpg