Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Fly caught salty fish pictures

Don't feel TOO bad, its 50 or 60 miles out to the coastal waters but usually, on weekdays, I have the canals to myself. Going again tomorrow.

I guess 60miles is closer for Utyer.

I'd drive an hour each way if I could hook into tarpon and bream like those.

No Mike, I live in Orlando. Still close enough to the coast.

I live in Deltona ... work near the Florida Mall. 47 miles each way to and from work.

I am only 25 or so miles from the coast ... but I just can't seem to pass up all the fresh water to get all the way to salt !!!

Utyer ... I sure hope that Red Tide doesn't mess with your fishing holes. Sounds like it drifted right into them.

Today there are reports of possible Red Tide as far north as where I have been fishing, but its on the beaches not the lagoon. I am going tomorrow, I will know then.

Went over to a "new spot" on the Indian River Lagoon. Walking along the ditches casting small flies for small Tarpon. No Tarpon were found, but plenty of Lady Fish, and Sea Trout. Most of the fish were between 12, and 16 inches. I did see Tarpon rolling in the Lagoon, but too far to reach without my kayak. Next trip I will take the kayak and fish the open water creeks that are directly connected to the lagoon. Forgot to send my address to my friend so no Tarpon image until now.

post-12074-0-11716900-1540567743_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-81933200-1542209032_thumb.jpg

Second trip to the same spot with a friend, and I picked up a similar bunch of Sea Trout, and a 17" Red Fish. All from the ditches.

Third trip with another friend and more Sea Trout, and a 16" Snook from the ditches. We walked along the lagoon and saw so many feeding fish we just had to try for them. I waded out about 100 feet into knee deep water, and was in the middle of moving pods of feeding fish. Hooked a second slightly larger Snook. Then we saw a gator watching us about a hundred yards out. When it turned in our direction, I was out of there. We walked down the bank where there was a small creek entering the Lagoon and I picked up a Red Fish about 19". Great fun walking the bank.

All these pictures are from yesterday:

post-12074-0-98434500-1541708174_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-14797300-1541708200_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-98127000-1541708219_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-88083700-1541708243_thumb.jpg

Those fish look like some fun fly rod action!

Keep this crap up ... and I might have to drive all the way over there!