Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Weathermen and weather apps suck thread

Fl. Weather.. where it can rain in the front yard, and not the back.

post-59266-0-29912800-1493053151_thumb.jpg

The "go outside and look" method works only if you're going to be fishing more or less in your backyard. When I travel 2-3 hours from home to fish (as I routinely do in season), a reliable weather app is a must. I relied on Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com) for years and found it to be quite reliable. The last few smartphones I've had all came with the Accuweather app already installed, and I've found that pretty trustworthy as well.

Another site that I find very valuable is the United States Geological Survey (USGS) real-time stream flow site (www.waterdata.us.gov/nwis/rt). Especially on large rivers with dams, it is very helpful to be able to see ahead of time what the flows are like. Nothing worse than driving a couple of hours, only to roll up on a blown-out unfishable river.

I'm with Mikechell, the Weather Channel is accurate 80-90% of the time ..a 100% of the time..within minutes.

I want to retire to Las Vegas to become a weatherman. I can see it now...

"Let's go over to Mike at the weather desk. Thanks Bob. It's going o be hot and sunny. Back to you Bob." How many time a year am I going to be wrong, 3?

Michael

I want to retire to Las Vegas to become a weatherman. I can see it now...

"Let's go over to Mike at the weather desk. Thanks Bob. It's going o be hot and sunny. Back to you Bob." How many time a year am I going to be wrong, 3?

Michael

I love that idea...I wonder how long the list is for that position???

Crackaig? Did you ever go to the doctor on that?

I had a car i was working on get hit at the bone yards. It tossed me out of the car and REALLY scrambled my mind for a while along with the cramps. I remember coming to with a couple of people over me...it started to rain. I heard sirens heading toward the area and panicked grabbing my tools and limping to the car. I sped out out of there like i was being chased (why? I have no idea) and everything seemed unreal. The paramedics actually tracked me home about 10 minutes later.

That pain you felt is a type of heart malfunction (i can't remember what they called it) in the neurotransmitters from getting too much electricity. If it effected you like me you might find you can hold a live 120v AC with only a little irritation now. They made me do a cardio test every few weeks for a while.

The same over-charge is why your brain wasn't right (probably for weeks???) and you were wrong in telling them to get away. It might be a good idea to have a doc do a full cardio work-up if you haven't had one since that strike. It took almost 2 years before my tests went to norm.

No I didn't for that, but have since. The only thing that showed up wasn't really explained to me. That is as I exert myself it is normal for both numbers on blood pressure to rise. For me as the heart rate rises the other number falls. My reasoning for telling them to stay back was I wasn't aware what hit me, I didn't want three casualties, one was bad enough.

Now I think about it, I had two episodes, within the next year, that were put down as TIAs, but later examinations could find no evidence of them. I wonder if they could be associated.

In my time I have had so many electric shocks mains, which is 240v @ 13 amp here is just a sharp tingle for me. I once ended up wired across two phases of a three phase (415v @ 15 amps). That stung a bit, Fortunately I was on a ladder at the time, it blew me off. Falling away was what saved me from the third phase. It wasn't an accident. The fuses were in my tool box at the bottom of the ladder and the fuse box taped shut with a sign on saying not to turn it on. The manager thought I should have finished the job so put new fuses in and switched it on. He didn't know half way through the job I had been called away on another job. That job didn't last!

Cheers,

C.

No I didn't for that, but have since. The only thing that showed up wasn't really explained to me. That is as I exert myself it is normal for both numbers on blood pressure to rise. For me as the heart rate rises the other number falls. My reasoning for telling them to stay back was I wasn't aware what hit me, I didn't want three casualties, one was bad enough.

Now I think about it, I had two episodes, within the next year, that were put down as TIAs, but later examinations could find no evidence of them. I wonder if they could be associated.

In my time I have had so many electric shocks mains, which is 240v @ 13 amp here is just a sharp tingle for me. I once ended up wired across two phases of a three phase (415v @ 15 amps). That stung a bit, Fortunately I was on a ladder at the time, it blew me off. Falling away was what saved me from the third phase. It wasn't an accident. The fuses were in my tool box at the bottom of the ladder and the fuse box taped shut with a sign on saying not to turn it on. The manager thought I should have finished the job so put new fuses in and switched it on. He didn't know half way through the job I had been called away on another job. That job didn't last!

Cheers,

C.

Ouch. that is a hard to way to loose a job. I almost never work on anything over 240 house...a few times i have connected drops and spliced downs for temp fix. My Grandfather was a journeyman specializing in large motors and the systems to support them. He showed what little i know.

People think the electricity blows you away (or like me out of the car), but it is your own muscles going into hard spasm.

You and i are are among a few very lucky ones to survive tertiary lighting strikes.

A couple of years ago on the news they showed a field full of kids (playing soccer or baseball) when there is a flash and every-one on the field drops like they had been turned off. A couple of them died.

I looked a lot up about it when i was in college, but have forgotten most. I searched for a while for a piece of sand/glass that had been hit by lightning. To date i have only seen pics of a couple. I always wanted to glue it to a board to hang next to my sand paintings. Those clearly show how the strike spreads.

The TIAs probably were part of your healing. It burns nerve sheaths and they take months to heal.

Now back to thread(sorry).

Weather can be so stable in areas like Vegas that you can guess and be right 99% of the time.

Then there are ares like Pueblo CO, where i live. Hyw50 acts as a dividing line for weather about half the time. I can remember MANY times i have crossed it to find the weather changed. Sometimes warmer on one side. others you could drive from snow or rain into completely dry on the other.

The Arkansas river acts as another dividing line. The South-side of town normally gets more snow and rain (and other hard extremes) than those North of it.

The Mountains to our West act as rocks in a stream to the wind flows. It is a lot of guessing from past experience to predict weather for the next few hours here.

Yesterday, my phone told me SE 7mph winds, I.E. PERFECT beach snook conditions.

Reality SW 17mph and surf suitable for surfing.

There may have been a swear word or two uttered.

I wish the weather man had been wrong about the weather here this time. They said 3 days of cold and rain, and that's what we've had. So much rain I'm feeling like a duck. And 40F is not a good temp for May temps mad.gif

Weatherman said "Dry and hot" ... I guess he was talking about this place.

About 4 miles from our house:

deland-brush-fire-sr44-volusia.jpg

Come OOOOONNNN, Rainy Season !!!

Yeah ... I think that's wishful thinking on the photographer's part. We're going to end up with huge tracts of cleared land Statewide. I know it's probably going to be okay in the long run, but it sucks in the here-n-now!

Just some examples of our rainfall situation.

Dupont Lake, where I caught my personal best bass ...

Lake Dupont 2006 - 2016.jpg

Trout Lake ... full of bass and sunfish, it was a great place for wade fishing.

Trout Lake.jpg

My local retention pond ... or it used to be.

omaha Dr..jpg