Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Weathermen and weather apps suck thread

Honestly, I don't know. But I have read where this is a regular thing ... a few years of dry weather, then back to normal rainfall levels for years on end.

Obviously, the dry beds will take years to get restocked and regrown. But every place that holds water, ends up getting fish in them, somehow. Rumor is that wading birds are responsible for much of it, flying from spot to spot during breeding season and carrying eggs on there legs. However it happens, if there's standing water, there's probably fish.

Fortunately, for me, the St. Johns has water in it. There's always some flow and deep holes ... so fishing is always available there.

That sucks Mike. I know what it is like though. Here in the Great Lakes we had hit an all time low back from 2010-2015 where sections were drying up and marinas where boats couldn't even get into them anymore. Thankfully the past 2 years now even with the lack of snowfall we have been getting really high rainfall the past two years and the Great Lakes have rebounded pretty nicely now. Hope you guys get into that higher rainfall soon like we did.

Hopefully, Steve. Summer is considered the "wet season", as we usually get afternoon showers every day. smile.png

Average is between 50 and 70 inches of rain per year, but it can be as high as 110 inches. Afternoon heat, with East and West winds blowing ocean moisture over the peninsula ... where they meet gets several inches. But that is almost always a slightly different area each day. Hence, our weatherpeople ALWAYS give a 50% chance of afternoon rain. rolleyes.gif

Over the last decade, some parts of the State (mostly south of us) have gotten that effect. WE ... haven't. mad.gif

For years the Delaware river would draw down to unbelievably low levels. To the point where I could not get my 16' tin boat off the trailer. Come summer we would take my buddies 14' tin boat which had no floor, storage, live well or any luxurys. It was a row boat with a 9.9 but we could throw it off the trailer into the water. Last year the water levels started rebounding. So far this year they would be what I would call normal for the 30 or so years I've been fishing the Delaware. It looks like levels should be good this year. Bad news is the low water years has me now complaining that the current is to fast and I have to start making heavy jigs as compared to the really light ones I've been using for the past 3 or 4 years. Funny how that works.

The good that came out of the low years is The drop axle installed in the trailer that lowered it to the ground. A low rider trailer if you would so I can launch the boat in a puddle. being so low to the ground it tows like a dream.