Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishypieter

Scud Back

Hi Guys and Gals

I am looking for Scud back in bulk (per LB) in different colors.

Also found these but do no know if you can dye them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-5y-100y-Elastic-Mobilon-Clear-Flat-Elastic-Tape-Lingerie-Swimwear-TPU-Japan-/172263557129?var=471084015729&hash=item281bb54809:m:mnRM02x9XuFxP88R1KAOdsw

Available in a 5 different sizes on Aliexpress

any help will be appreciated.

That's the stuff, apparently you can dye it, but I have no idea how. It is what several firms sell as scud back. They must dye it to get the colours they sell. Maybe someone who is into dying could shed some light on how to.

Cheers,

C.

here is that material colored with permanent markers but i have no idea if the color stays on after being wet

2qtvktw.jpg

swiping a marker over one side of the material caused it to curl up but returned to flat after coloring the other side

i would only use it after it has completely dried after a few days

your link shows 1 size (6mm) but 5 different lengths (5m/10m/20m/50m/100m)

An identical replacement for Hareline Scudback is Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below. This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8" clear Hareline Scudback.

35724586655_da5bc33db2_z.jpg35593320821_82d40da221.jpg

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

34883025784_ee23148cb9_z.jpg

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

34883025664_0452f4904f_z.jpg

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

35593320931_37608957b2_z.jpg

I'll spare everyone the details of what my imagination is doing with the term " fly tying factory in south Africa".